• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Ancho and favorite Jalapeno varieties

Folks,
I grow my own peppers in zone 6B. Ready to start raising Jalapeno and Ancho from seed, but need suggestions of good varieties. 1. Jalapeno: Tired of plants from Lowes (etc.) giving tiny Jalapenos, but also tired of tasteless jumbo-sized Jalapenos. Please give me your opinions of the best varieties to give good yields of large tasty Jalapenos with good heat. 2. Ancho/poblano plants bought locally the last 2 years have been disappointing. Please give suggestions of your favorite ancho varieties giving good yields of medium size (~4 - 4.5")and heat fruits. Thanks for your advice

place to start
first try to grow seeds from peppers that you ate and liked :woohoo:

there is a buying seed thread at this growing peppers forum

the uncle steve's is in your area

and are recommended

http://www.ushotstuff.com/Seed.Source.htm

welcome to the asylum

Ancho is a dried poblano so you can't grow one ;)

Hey, samadams, welcome to the Forum. I hope you can grow peppers like you brew beer!

It is a liberating experience growing your own stuff. Lowe's begone.... :cool:

I'm liking the Biker Billy jalapeno. It received a lot of rave reviews around here. It's a Burpee seed, but could not find it on 10 or so different Burpee seed racks locally. It is available online, spendy as I recall. I was lucky to get some seeds from a kind forum member.

I've only eaten one so far (a fully ripe red one) and it had excellent heat and flavor combo. My real taste test comes later after the wife unit pickles them. But I know they will kick buds!

Here's a Biker checking in at about 3.5 inches. Beating my Jalmundos so far, but I had a cold spring and summer. I also induced some growing errors here and there, as I am a first time seed grower also.

garden%25252081611%252520015.jpg

Thank you. Yes, ancho vs poblano. A rose by any other name. Yes, yes...I am talking about growing the fresh pepper. How do you feel about these Ancho varieties: Ancho 211 F1, Ancho Tiburon F1, Poblano "L"? As for Jalapenos, how do you feel about Grande Jalapeno or Tremendo vs Biker Billy? Thanks

I'm going to add a +1 for Biker Billy. Great taste and heat! I actually found seed at a Lowe's 2 years ago but they didn't have it this past season.

I'll add another +1 for the jaloro. I grew two this year and although I had fungus issues with those two especially, they were very productive and I was really surprised with the flavor! I pickled a few pints last night - looking forward to sampling them in a few months.

Biker Billy are the only Jalapenos I've grown with consistent heat. Some are extremely hot and take you by surprise. With any Jalapeno though, the heat can be inconsistent from pod to pod.

Tiburon is a fine producer of nice sized pods that make great rellenos. Just be sure and cage it or you'll have branches breaking from pod overload. For penos I like Biker Billy and Mucho Nacho.

Back