• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Drying without a Dehydrator

I picked up my Nesco dehydrator on Kijiji (like Craigslist) for $10 a few years ago. I think you would be amazed how many people have these and don't use them as much as we do.

I love making jerky in mine, if you get one, try drying habs and making jerky at the same time, the jerky turns out awesome!!! Not too sure how much flavour got imparted into the habs but I used them anyway.

JJBagoose said:
Thanks for the good info.

It sounds like I can air dry them but I do see a dehydrator in my future.

jj

You'll use it for so much more than just drying peppers.
I've already used mine for drying out pods, then I got curious and made a home made version of a fruit roll up from muskmelon and honeydew melon (yum), dried out a bunch of onions and mushrooms for cooking, now I'm gonna start making jerky.

They're simple as anything to use and you'll dig the results.

I like to sun dry mainly because i don't have a dehydrator, only problem is moisturehumidity just make sure the bottom is cut off so if anything liquid in side will run out and hang from stem where it will recieve sun almost all day shouldnt take too long about a couple weeks, but i live in southwest florida much different than Massachusettes sun. Try Sun drying make sure no mold though skin would turn black thinner skin easiers to sun dry. all ways will dehydrate your peppers just in diffrent fashion and time, you could smoke them. I used to live in the North Shore, I miss mass, except for growing season is short. good luck drying

Back