• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Dried Habs...,

Well the word "habs" is used pretty loosely there. It could be any number of different fruits, and heat levels for that matter. If you have the means I would recommend growing your own, then you know what your putting in your sauces. If you don't have access to seeds or want a jump start Chileplants.com has a pretty good variety of live plants.

Dyce51 said:
I know some of you guys use dried habs for your sauces. I found a site that sells them for $3.00 per ounce. they say that 1 oz. is equal to 1/4 cup. The habs are whole or ground. Is this a good deal? By the way here is a link to the site....

http://worldspice.com/spices/0042habanero.shtml

Not really sounding like a deal, but then again Im basing it off of getting nice fresh Orange Habs for 2.90 a lb. (course I buy about 30+ pounds a week) Sounds like I need to start selling dried habs.

I could be wrong but Im thinking you could find cheaper Dyce.

OK thanks guys I just wanted to check before I bought any...I figured I would give dried Habaneros a try for my sauces.

Dyce51 said:
OK thanks guys I just wanted to check before I bought any...I figured I would give dried Habaneros a try for my sauces.

Before you make a final decision, give Jim Campbell at Mild to Wild a shout, he supplies many top manufacturers in the biz. and can assist you in your decision.

Dyce51 said:
... The habs are whole or ground. Is this a good deal? By the way here is a link to the site....

http://worldspice.com/spices/0042habanero.shtml

Dyce, P_Scneider may be onto something here regarding the 'loose' usage of habanero to describe a generic hot powder - the top of the page on your link shows the scientific name of the hab as Capsicum Annum which is of course incorrect :onfire: as we know it to be Capsicum Chinense :lol: :hell: . although the price is pretty cheap you only get what you pay for. take Big Dawg's advice and contact Jim at Mild to Wild, he seems to have a pretty good rep here at THP.

good luck and let us know what sort of deal you can get!

Back