• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Don't use these pellets!

the netting on the ones i use/used doesn't decompose either but trying to remove it you risk root damage and i really don't see the need to go through the hassle of removing it when there really is no need.
when you consider that plants will grow up through cracks in concrete a little bit of netting will cause them no problems at all

I always remove them because I think they hinder root growth. I left some on some Tithonia's I started one year and the roots were hindered and the plants fell over. As for root damage...have never had a problem with that because I pot them in larger containers as soon as roots start to poke through the netting. The netting on the Planters Pride pellets is extremely dense. Even if it does decompose, it would take longer, I want the roots of my plants to be free to grow and not be hindered.

each to their own but peat pellets are designed so that you don't have to fiddle about when potting on seedling and so reducing shock, since i've started using pellets i've not lost one seedling during the transplant process, but i lost a good few before i used them, and i don't find that by not removing the netting hinders the plants progress,
it's what works for you, i might be lazy but a can't be bothered to remove the netting from the 50 to 100 pellets i pot on

As I've mentioned before, I don't see why you'd use the pellets if you're removing the netting. Why not use rockwool, oasis cubes or cells/plugs, or somehow make your own netting-free balls of ammended peat or coir or similar. The pellets just seem like way to much work, and the straight peat or coir medium can easily be improved upon.

Because they're convenient.

And I don't lose plants when I remove the netting; but I have had problems when I didn't.

POTAWIE said:
They are no more convenient than rockwool or other types of starting medium

For whom?

I have to hunt down other starting medium and pay extra high prices for it. Jiffy pellets I can run down to a big box store and grab some cheaply.

Pam said:
For whom?

I have to hunt down other starting medium and pay extra high prices for it. Jiffy pellets I can run down to a big box store and grab some cheaply.

cheap indeed... I'm gonna try Jiffy Pellets on some tomatoes. Maybe they'll work better than Planters Pride

I have no problem with tomatoes in jiffys, the roots are more aggresive than peppers but you still have to keep an eye on moisture levels and ph

You check the pH on Jiffy pellets? Wow. I grow tomatoes, basil, and some flowers in them, but I've never thought to worry about the pH.

Well, I'm on well water and have to monitor my ph on a daily basis, especially during the melting season. Also peat is naturally acidic to start with

Back