• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Do containers have to be elevated off the ground?

That's a cool set up. I saw a three fabric hanging pot set up at the local hydro store and almost pulled the trigger on it, but they were asking too much. I really like having them off the ground like that.

The pots pictured came with flowers in them (costco I think) for less than $10. Brackets are old from some big box.. One thing I don't like is that the top one will drain onto the lower one.. But they are extras so I'm not too fussed about their outcome.

Why pay $$$? Make one with twine and an old pot(s) and a drill.

Do containers have to be elevated off the ground?
Started by Proud Marine Dad, Today, 05:12 AM

"No" and that's the long answer.

ColdSmoke said:
What if the pot was truly elevated? Like hanging by its handles? I just blew my mind. 
I did this with cucumbers last year hoping they would climb really well up the hangers.  Apparently it wasn't a good idea.  Maybe not enough pot space, I'm not sure.  I got ONE cuke out of six plants that was the size of a baby dill before it started bittering.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I was wondering if containers need to be up off the ground or can they sit directly on the ground outside?
I have always elevated them but I have so many this season that I don't have enough bricks and so forth to sit them all on. What do you all think?

I do elevate mine for a couple of reasons.

For me it was originally for lack of space and also making a tiered stand let me stagger the height so that each got better sunlight.
 Another reason for being up is that I had only concrete pad to set on and that sucker gets very hot sometimes. Extreme heat on your roots can be as bad, if not worse, than getting too cold. I had noticed that during some our heat-waves in the summer here in southern Ohio and somewhere in the forums it's mentioned about excessive heat on roots.

gallery_7191_98_46779.jpg

-------------------------

I elevate mine due to critters such as rabbits and squirrels, as well as my dogs. They sure loved the smell of those new Root Pouches. But mostly so I can see any attacking pests without bending over. At my age that's a huge advantage!  

Back