• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Do Chinense variety prefer more shade?

Hi there,

I live in Malaysia with a tropical climate that is both hot and humid. Here capsicum frutescens like thai hot, thai birds eye and annum are mainly grown. They are hardy and are able to withstand full sun from our tropical weather. Leaves are generally small compare to Chinense varieties. I have some Bhuts that are growing slowly when I potted them under full sun on a concrete pavement. Upon placing them in a more shaded area they start to take off producing dark green leaves.

Can I say the chinense variety that produces big leaves are more suitable for shady , hot and humid weather as compare to direct full sun thorough out the day?

Mark T

hi Mark,
If you have hardened them chinenses properly, they should be able to take the full sun. BUTTTTT, full sun during our hot weather in Malaysia is a killer so, its preferable to keep them under shade or just 2-4hours of full sun.

The answer as to why chili padis and thai hots can tolerate full sun is because of genetics. These seeds have their parents and their grand parents plants grown in hot hot sun, thats why they can withstand full sun.

just my opinions, i might be wrong about my analysis. Im just stating from my observations.

In my experience chinense grow beautifully in the shade BUT most of mine grown in the shade never fully developed their flower buds. When I moved them to a sunnier spot they started flowering and fruiting! I guess you will need to find a balance between sun and shade that works best for your plants in your area. At least you could shelter them in the shade for the hottest part of the year, and give them more sun if you have a "cooler" season.

My Chinese get full sun 10am till 6pm and its 95 degrees here just bout every day 40 to 90% humidity. during the winter their leaves get bigger but atm the leaves are small.

I have noticed this too that in hot florida sun that my chinese like more shad than rest. They look more lush and green in the shade and have bigger leaves. Pod production is about the same maybe even slightly more. I find that about 4 hours of morning sun is best for them.

Hi there,

I live in Malaysia with a tropical climate that is both hot and humid. Here capsicum frutescens like thai hot, thai birds eye and annum are mainly grown. They are hardy and are able to withstand full sun from our tropical weather. Leaves are generally small compare to Chinense varieties. I have some Bhuts that are growing slowly when I potted them under full sun on a concrete pavement. Upon placing them in a more shaded area they start to take off producing dark green leaves.

Can I say the chinense variety that produces big leaves are more suitable for shady , hot and humid weather as compare to direct full sun thorough out the day?

Mark T
Its your root zone temps.

Thanks to all for your input. I guess for those who have very hot climate, having partial shading seems to help with chinenses variety.
The reason could be reduce heat from the strong sun as well and reduced and more constant root zone temperature.
I will try and experiment, placing 2 plant under full sun. With one I will cover the pot using aluminum foil to hopefully reduce the root zone temperature.

Mark T

Thanks to all for your input. I guess for those who have very hot climate, having partial shading seems to help with chinenses variety.
The reason could be reduce heat from the strong sun as well and reduced and more constant root zone temperature.
I will try and experiment, placing 2 plant under full sun. With one I will cover the pot using aluminum foil to hopefully reduce the root zone temperature.

Mark T
No what Im saying is stick a thermometer down into your container when you have them out in the full sun. Then move them into the shade and do the same. I guarantee you there will be a HUGE difference. The foliage temps don't matter. They come from VERY hot climates naturally. Being in a container is not natural and therefore the grower must take into consideration the condition at the root zone. Try to mimic the ground.

No what Im saying is stick a thermometer down into your container when you have them out in the full sun. Then move them into the shade and do the same. I guarantee you there will be a HUGE difference. The foliage temps don't matter. They come from VERY hot climates naturally. Being in a container is not natural and therefore the grower must take into consideration the condition at the root zone. Try to mimic the ground.
The concrete temp is probably 30 deg plus as air in full sun.My chinense in pots that saw too much shade barely flower until they get moved into full sun, huge leaves in shade, smaller when moved into sun.The ones in ceramic pots on hot crete-they were half size with little leaves.The ones in foam pots,same location-normal size,larger leaves.
My in the grounders planted in full noonday sun are half the size of the partial shade ones-these are in raised plots so roots are closer to surface and the leaves are very small,and the ones that are full sun, where the bases are shaded are normal sized with somewhat larger leaves.
To me this confirms the above conclusion.

The concrete temp is probably 30 deg plus as air in full sun.My chinense in pots that saw too much shade barely flower until they get moved into full sun, huge leaves in shade, smaller when moved into sun.The ones in ceramic pots on hot crete-they were half size with little leaves.The ones in foam pots,same location-normal size,larger leaves.
My in the grounders planted in full noonday sun are half the size of the partial shade ones-these are in raised plots so roots are closer to surface and the leaves are very small,and the ones that are full sun, where the bases are shaded are normal sized with somewhat larger leaves.
:)

OK I got it, thanks bro..

Mark T

gnslng2,

You comment makes me consider using Foam Box as a growing container. I can get some that are 1.5ft high and 2 feet length. They are at least 1 inch thick, I wonder will that keep the temperature cooler and more stable?

Mark T

Hi Mark, i was thinking the same about using polystyrene but after looking into it, I found out that it leaches chemicals. Google "polystyrene leaching chemicals" and it's off putting. Maybe a normal plant pot inside a foam box would work.

Hi Mark, i was thinking the same about using polystyrene but after looking into it, I found out that it leaches chemicals. Google "polystyrene leaching chemicals" and it's off putting. Maybe a normal plant pot inside a foam box would work.

Thanks for the info. I guess proper mulching and using light color pots is the other option.

Mark T

It depends on the variety. I don't have issues with full sun and high temperatures with Grenada Hots, CR's, 7 pots, and TS's. However, my Datils seem to do better with partial shade...

Back