• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Crossing Questions....

I guess I have a couple cross related questions that tie into each other. Here goes...

1. How do you stabilize crosses? Do you simply cross two plants and then select two of their offspring that display the characteristics you desire and cross them again? Is there other crossing involved in terms of bringing in one pure strain to pull the offspring of the original cross towards the direction you want. Say if you did a cayenne with a 7 pod. The result were something in between, but you basically want it shaped like a cayenne and bumpy like a 7 pod. Would you cross those offspring with a cayenne to pull it towards that shape?

2. Has anyone tried a THP multi-member cross experiment? I am curious because most of the members do not have a lot of growing space. I figure if you need to select offspring with the desired characteristics you would probably need several plants to do so, which would take up a lot of space. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has done a cross, passed the seeds to say 15 members, had them grow 2 plants or so, and then recieved seeds back from the plants displaying the desired characteristics, and then crossed those and so forth?

Sorry that was a bit long. I understand natural selection but am not sure exactly what is going on with pepper crosses. I have read how hybrid peppers seeds will grow to be something else. Why is this? Is it something in between or one of the two parent plants?

Don't really know too much on the subject so would appreciate the help.

I would also like to know what you think would be an interesting cross?

1. The first year crosses(F1) take on characteristics from the mother and father plant where the f2 generation will start to show recessive genes and plants should look very different. This is where you need to grow many plants to trial and only save seeds from the best or most desired qualities. Now to stabilize a plant you will have to do this for many generations until they continuously breed true. If you're not happy with the desired outcome, you can back-cross the new plant with the original mother or father stock in attempt to gain more characteristics from one of the parents

2. I've sent out some of my hybrid seeds for others to grow but I like to do my own trials, with as many plants as possible. One or two plants isn't really enough to pick from when choosing hybrids for stabilizing

POTAWIE said:
1. The first year crosses(F1) take on characteristics from the mother and father plant where the f2 generation will start to show recessive genes and plants should look very different. This is where you need to grow many plants to trial and only save seeds from the best or most desired qualities. Now to stabilize a plant you will have to do this for many generations until they continuously breed true. If you're not happy with the desired outcome, you can back-cross the new plant with the original mother or father stock in attempt to gain more characteristics from one of the parents

2. I've sent out some of my hybrid seeds for others to grow but I like to do my own trials, with as many plants as possible. One or two plants isn't really enough to pick from when choosing hybrids for stabilizing
Thanks for clearing things up.
In terms of the 2 plants. I was thinking that if you had 15 members do at least 2 plants that would be at least 30 plants a season. In your opinion would this be enough to obtain plants with the desired qualities? What have you seen in your trials?

Josh said:
Thanks for clearing things up.
In terms of the 2 plants. I was thinking that if you had 15 members do at least 2 plants that would be at least 30 plants a season. In your opinion would this be enough to obtain plants with the desired qualities? What have you seen in your trials?
It will work, but plants would grow differently in different environments and conditions so ideally you'd want to grow many plants side by side for proper comparison.
It sounds like a fun idea though and I'm sure you'd get some interesting result

Josh said:
I would also like to know what you think would be an interesting cross?

I've had so many ideas for crosses but just not enough time and space:)
Lately I've been thinking of crossing a cascabel with something larger and similar like an ancho for possibly a larger cascabel shape/flavor. I've also thought about crossing a bishop's crown with something yellow or brown, and then there's the thought about Fresno*ancho=frencho:lol:

POTAWIE said:
I've had so many ideas for crosses but just not enough time and space:)
Lately I've been thinking of crossing a cascabel with something larger and similar like an ancho for possibly a larger cascabel shape/flavor. I've also thought about crossing a bishop's crown with something yellow or brown, and then there's the thought about Fresno*ancho=frencho:lol:

Well I know you said about different environments but hey I am up for growing some. I would like to do a hot cross though as well. Not sure exactly what. It does not have to be superhot, but say at least in the 100,000 scoville area. Although, we may be able to get more people involved if it were some sort of superhot cross.

What about everyone else out there what crosses would you like to see/like to get involved in if we did this?

I personally would like to see a aji flor or pi441592 x a yellow baccatum or a sweet baccatum x super hot chinese. Will have to try crossing some of these and send them out the f2's next season.

For noobs just viewing, I just want to state that crosses do not affect that year's pods.

You won't get a spicy bell pepper from some nearby nagas.

It is the seeds that may go on to produce a crossed plant. That's All Folks!:)

I'd like to try my luck on some crosses of peppers that have a nice shape and/or color. Just for the heck of it!

It takes patience! Years of patience. And space. You need to be willing to grow at least 6 or 7 plants to production, that end up being crappy peppers.

A Orange Hab and Chocolate Hab would be good, a bit like Terry's Chocolate Orange.

* There is an awful lot of red text on this page *

True... or cover the flowers. I don't worry too much, it is less of a serious project for me, I only wanna see if it works out and what the next generation looks like, simply for fun and to satisfy my curiosity! :)

wordwiz said:
I would think you would also have to isolate each plant to make sure of no accidental pollination.

Mike

Yep probably just have everyone cover the flower buds in tulle until they set fruit.

Back