• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

powder-flake commercial chilli powder

does anyone know what kind of chiles go into the chilli powder you buy at the store?

also

i saw a dehydrator at cabelas for about $70 - not too expensive. is there a major difference between a very expensive one and a cheaper one? if i were to get one should i stay away from certain ones?? any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

peter pepper said:
does anyone know what kind of chiles go into the chilli powder you buy at the store?
It depends on the manufactory. Usually it's Ancho or Cayenne.

peter pepper said:
is there a major difference between a very expensive one and a cheaper one?
Yes, the price is the differance. :lol:

I just whipped up some pepper powder out of some of my home grown tabasco and thai peppers, that I dried in my dehydrator. Talk about wow...if you decide to try that wear a dust mask, and wear gloves.

I found my dehydrator on craigslist, still in the box with all the goodies and even the seasoning packets for jerky....all for $20 So look around before you run out and pay 60-70 dollars, you might find one cheaper than you would expect.

Unless you are hard core into dehydrating, the smaller units are all the average cat needs IMO.

I found my dehydrator in the closet at my old place. Appearently a former roommate many years ago left it.....Claimed it for my own along with their juicer.

PP...if you will do a google search on homemade chili powder you will get a lot of hits....what I did was copy about 30 of them into a word document and then looked at the different types of peppers that the different recipes used...then I put the types of peppers and amounts in an excel spreadsheet...one line per recipe with the types of peppers as the column headings...then in the cell next to the recipe and under the pepper type, I put the amount...

I then looked at the common peppers that were used...it's quite a bit of work to do it but it gave me a starting place for my chili powder to make chili with...I can not find the spreadsheet on my computer here at home so it must be at work...

that's just the way I did it....

AlabamaJack said:
PP...if you will do a google search on homemade chili powder you will get a lot of hits....what I did was copy about 30 of them into a word document and then looked at the different types of peppers that the different recipes used...then I put the types of peppers and amounts in an excel spreadsheet...one line per recipe with the types of peppers as the column headings...then in the cell next to the recipe and under the pepper type, I put the amount...

I then looked at the common peppers that were used...it's quite a bit of work to do it but it gave me a starting place for my chili powder to make chili with...I can not find the spreadsheet on my computer here at home so it must be at work...

And for those of us with less orginization and more ADHD, just throw some dried peppers into a coffee grinder! :lol:

BigDogDaddy said:
I just whipped up some pepper powder out of some of my home grown tabasco and thai peppers, that I dried in my dehydrator. Talk about wow...if you decide to try that wear a dust mask, and wear gloves.

I found my dehydrator on craigslist, still in the box with all the goodies and even the seasoning packets for jerky....all for $20 So look around before you run out and pay 60-70 dollars, you might find one cheaper than you would expect.

Unless you are hard core into dehydrating, the smaller units are all the average cat needs IMO.

good idea - didn't think of looking at craigslist or maybe i'll check ebay.

AlabamaJack said:

see know you almost sound like me - analytical and organized. generally when i need a recipe that's what i do - look via google or another good website is www.cooks.com. thanks for the ideas.

PP

Back