• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Coco Coir Vs. Peat Moss and Chiltepins

Many of you are aware that I recently did an experiment in which I planted 60 Chiltepin seeds in hydrocubes (3 sets of 20), 20 Chiltepin seeds in Peat and 20 Chiltepin seeds in Coco. On Tuesday I started to transplant the starts, as they are getting bigger.

What I noticed was: I had three sprout in the Coco mix, but one died shortly after sprouting. I had five sprouts in the Peat mix, but one is still very small. What concerns me the most is the appearance of the sprouts. The four in the Peat mixture look much healthier than the two in the Coco mix. Keep in mind that these were all planted at the same time, and were kept together the whole time. The only difference is the soil medium used.

I think these three pictures are very enlightening:

Peat mix on the right, Coco mix on the left
8663463678_7fbe115d4b_m.jpg

Peat mix
8663462054_e590eee68b_m.jpg

Coco mix
8662364819_d7c9639da4_m.jpg

Sorry if you've explained this elsewhere as I didn't see your earlier post about this experiment. But are the mixes entirely the same besides the peat vs coco?

I bought two bails of coir recently. I've read other less than favorable results about it, so I think I'm just going to till it into my garden soil. Should improve soil structure. I'll be using compost and compost tea for nutrition. Don't think the coir should hurt anything.

I did not have the best luck with coir and peppers.... It worked really well for my tomatoes. I think it is ok, I just think it retains more water then I realized. This year I made a mix of top soil, compost, vermiculite and a bit of sand now for seedlings.

I mixed a bunch roughly with 40%top soil, 40%compost and 20%sand last fall. I mix that mix with about 30-40% vermiculite for seedlings and 15-25% perlite for when I pot them up into a cup.

I know its not an ideal mix, but I have liked it allot better then just using peat or coir and it allowed me to just have a big bin of the mix and a bag of vermiculite and a bag of perlite.

i buy the coir pucks, hydrate them and mix it into my soil mix. i do find that i still have to add Promix to help aerate my mix as it can get quite compact. i start all my seeds in Promix, i tried the coir pellets but that didn't work out so well. like badpants, coir pellets worked fine with tomatoes just not peppers.

i have mentioned this before, as to coir containers, i no longer use them as they are so tightly wound that not even water seems to penetrate them. i just repotted a variety of peppers that were in coir pots and their direct neighbour in regular plastic containers were twice that size - they were all the same size before being put into coir and all were fed the same. on repotting, the coir containered plants all showed consistent lack of root growth.

thanks for experimenting and keeping us informed.

Sorry if you've explained this elsewhere as I didn't see your earlier post about this experiment. But are the mixes entirely the same besides the peat vs coco?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37763-three-experiments-in-one-testing-seed-soaking-seed-starting-mediums-and-growing-mediums/

None of the Chiltepins in this experiment have ever been fertilized as of yet. I am transplanting them, and will give them all a shot of fertilizer. The link above explains the Peat mix. Tucson Hydroponics, who I thank for their donation of the Coco, told me that nothing needs to be added to the Canna brand Coco. Keep in mind that the Chiltepins in the hydrocubes received nothing but water as well, and despite not showing photos of them up above, I can tell you that the no-soak and H2O2 pre-soak Chiltepins in the cubes looked great. The Chiltepins that were in the cubes after a GA-3 soak do not look as good! I don't have access to the pictures right now(I'm at work and flickr.com is blocked here), but I'll post the pictures of the cubes when I get home this evening.

I'm actually moving away from using Peat. I chose to use the Peat mixture of 70% Peat, 15% vermiculite and 15% perlite because I read a University of Southern Florida study that states that this is the mix used by the commercial tomato growers in Florida.

Over the past three years, I have used Earthgro's Potting Soil for my 4'x4' raised garden beds and for all of my potted plants, including chilies. I use that because it costs about $5 per 2 cubic foot bag. I also chose Earthgro's potting soil because it isn't full of the additives like Miracle Grow, or sewage sludge like Kellogg's.

I didn't use the Earthgro with my tomato and chili starts this year, as I thought that Peat would be the way to go. The majority of my starts have been and will be sold to a local nursery. Peat seems to be the most used medium for plants.

I thought that maybe the Earthgro was lacking due to it being a cheap and basic soil. However, After just a few years, my 4'x4' boxes are just loaded with earthworms! Keep in mind that my yard is caliche (it's a soil hard as cement), so I doubt the worms came from my yard. Also, I have to continuously remove grubs from my soil in between plantings. My point is that the Earthgro soil appears to be just fine.

So, now I'm experimenting with a new mix that contains 50% Earthgro Potting Soil, 20% ARBICO Compost Plus, 15% vermiculite, and 15% perlite. The Arbico compost sounds amazing to me, as I was told at their store that it contains the composted insect remains from their bug farm, and that the University of Arizona buys it by the truckload (http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Compost-Plus-1lb/1305601).

Meanwhile, the hydroponic/nursery I sell my plants to asked me to pot some tomatoes up in a Coco Coir mixture made from the coarse Coco that comes in a brick, mixed with pumice and vermiculite. I've already potted some up in that mix, but I haven't seen anything notably different yet.

First off thanks for posting this. We have seen some amazing plants grown just in Coir but I think it is tricky and requires a very thoughtful fertilizer program. I am a fanboy of coir and perlite for hydroponics but I'm reconsidering switching the coco for peat or something.

For pots I think coir should be considered a component of soil medium for all but the most advanced guys. I add it to my mix in SIP buckets for its wicking ability but after some unorganized experiments I think peat may actually wick better and compensate for my alkaline water.

First off thanks for posting this. We have seen some amazing plants grown just in Coir but I think it is tricky and requires a very thoughtful fertilizer program. I am a fanboy of coir and perlite for hydroponics but I'm reconsidering switching the coco for peat or something.

For pots I think coir should be considered a component of soil medium for all but the most advanced guys. I add it to my mix in SIP buckets for its wicking ability but after some unorganized experiments I think peat may actually wick better and compensate for my alkaline water.

I'm just curious what your mix is for pots. I'm still looking for that "right soil" that's fairly cheap yet effective. I'm hoping that the Arbico compost produces great results. Only time will tell...

Honestly, the best mix is the one that makes you and your plants happy. This could change based on a person, region, watering habits, etc.

The cheapest way to go is to mix your own. Experiment, explore, get your hands dirty. Placebo works for plants too, If you are proud of your plant you are more likely to give it attention when it needs it.

I think starting with 20-20-20-20-10 is a good start and the branch out and find your own mix.
  • 20% Local humus full of microbes to get it started. ........*Free*
  • 20% Compost ........*could should be Free*
  • 20% Aerator (Start with perlite) add more if you want better drainage. .........*cheap*
  • 20% Water retention (Peat works well) ..............*12$ 3cu*
  • 10% for your "secret" ingredient that makes you think you mix is the best :P Mine is Worm Castings
and I will be trying Azomite rock-dust in my next mix.

Coco will have calcium/magnesium issues. Some have a charge already in them,not sure about canna. That could be what tuscon hydroponics meant.

Unmixed, peat will perform better than choir for seedlings. Pure choir leads to stunted yellow looking plants.

But when a percentage is mixed with other stuff, i feel that coco choir is better than peat. Along with pine bark fines, It's one of the best potting soil ingrediants i've discovered in more recent years.

Also, coco choir from certain sources may have a high salt content. Always a good idea to oversoak it, then drain the excess to leach out some of the salt it may have. I do not feel that the bricks sold in pet stores have a high salt content, but i oversoak it anyways.

Coir has zero nutrient content. By itself it is useless. Add a fertilizing program or amendments and it becomes a truly amazing medium.

I have forgotten my mix now. I have reached the limit on plants and I re-use mix.
I think it was
40 ocean forest
40 coco
10 perlite
10 compost
sprinkling of bone
2-3 feeder packs

I think starting with 20-20-20-20-10 is a good start and the branch out and find your own mix.
  • 20% Local humus full of microbes to get it started. ........*Free*
  • 20% Compost ........*could should be Free*
  • 20% Aerator (Start with perlite) add more if you want better drainage. .........*cheap*
  • 20% Water retention (Peat works well) ..............*12$ 3cu*
  • 10% for your "secret" ingredient that makes you think you mix is the best :P Mine is Worm Castings
and I will be trying Azomite rock-dust in my next mix.
Oops, thanks for the Azomite reminder, going to have to add some in when i pot up my plants.

Azomite is dirt cheap, especially when bought in bigger quantities on Ebay. A little bit goes a very long way and it won't burn sensitive seedlings. The powdered version is microscopically-fine.

IMHO it is a great inexpensive way to reconsitute older, used up soil, along with your favorite fertilizer of course...

Back