• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

chili's angels

im a big fan of alton brown and good eats..he just had a show on called "chili's angels" alot of talk about cap, peppers and a salsa recipe and a habenero desert recipe
it will be on the food network on 04/19/2006 at 7pm
he gose into dept on the scovile system of rating heat.
it was a show that i think everyone would like to see that is into chili and peppers.
if you don't have food network at the website under alton browns good eat link is recipe for the salsa and the habenero desert.
take care folks.
bubba out

I noticed the salsa recipe calls for dried anchos cut into pieces. I've never used dried chilies...would they reconstitute enough in this salsa to be edible? Biting into a hard chunk of chile doesn't sound appetizing to me.

I believe in the show he claims that the dried chiles will reconstiute in the liquids fo the salsa. His thought is, why rehydrate them in water and wash all that flavor down the sink when they can soften up in the salsa and keep all the flavor.

He also said that Wilbur sprayed (in an atomizer type thing)sugar water on the tounge, and did not create a solution in which to render any cap undetectable.

the cut up peppers he said with all the wet stuff in the salsa would re-hydrate them...it also looks like the recipe has a 12 hour rest or ?? dont eat for 12 hours so im wondering if that would do it??

ChefEx said:
I know i'd be hard pressed to wait that long to eat my nice fresh salsa. :)

LOL I agree. I usually kill half of it right away. MAYBE the other half will make it til the next day!

Why not simply use fresh ancho? Like chuck does with his habaneros for the BBQ sauce, take fresh poblanos and pan roast them... yummy

T

Tina Brooks said:
Why not simply use fresh ancho? Like chuck does with his habaneros for the BBQ sauce, take fresh poblanos and pan roast them... yummy

T

unfortunatly it's not that easy finding fresh peppers in some places..dried peps can be found just about anywhere :shock: :)

Tina Brooks said:
Why not simply use fresh ancho? Like chuck does with his habaneros for the BBQ sauce, take fresh poblanos and pan roast them...

There's quite a bit of difference between dried chiles and roasted chiles.

Anchos are dried poblanos that have rippened to red on the plant. Most of the poblanos you find in the supermarket are green. If you roast those you have roasted poblanos, not anchos. It's a different flavor.

I've never thought of making salsa like that but I bet it's good. Alton's got skillz. Of course I would triple the jalapenos.

Back