• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Chile Heads article

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050708/CITIZEN0104/107070158/-1/citizen0104

Not my first published article, but thought it would be of interest to the chili heads out there. :twisted:

We ended up in a debate in the newsroom the day before it was printed. The way I had written it in the article, "chile" was spelled with an "e" in reference to the pepper, and that was the way that the Features editor kept it. One of the news editors saw it, and started arguing over whether "chile" was spelled with an "i" or an "e". We kept telling him that in reference to the dish, it's with an "i", but in reference to the pepper it's with an "e". Debate finally got settled when I consulted the AP stylebook -- "Chile" is in reference to the country, "chili" is in reference to the pepper. So the headline got corrected. But she didn't correct the other instances, so it's kind of weird.

In Mex up north in Nuevo Leon, Chihuahua and etc, chile is the fruit and chili is the nasty gemish with hamburg and brown beans.

I go with the Chile is a country, Chili is the pepper, and Chili is the meat and bean sauce.

Course, half the time we don't say either... we say "piment fort"!

lol

T

Back