Cast Iron Grill

I saw an indoor cast iron grill/griddle. One side was ridged for grilling the other smooth for griddling. Does anyone have one? Are they any good? it was like $40 for the one I saw and thought about getting it. Pros/Cons??

I believe THP has one. They're suppossed to be really nice. Only downside i can think of is the fact you have to 'grease' both sides of it, so it might be a bit messy to handle at times.

You have a good memory!

I have one, a Lodge I think.

The ridges don't really do too much unless you want grill marks and a little fat loss. The flat side is all-purpose and even better for burgers and stuff so I'd just go for a skillet. These things are messy, a little oil will drip wherever you keep it.

I have a couple of love them. If you season it as you go the cleanup isn't that bad. The grill side works great for grilling fish. I usually get it very hot apply a small amount of oil and just quick grill the fillet for a couple of minutes on each side. Works great for thick fish like shark and tuna. The flat side works great for things like pan cakes, and grilled cheese. A good seasoned pan is twice as nice as Teflon.

The problem is, when you cook, the bottom is seasoned too, so the oil will heat and drip. If you have a gas range it can be quite messy. If you have one of those glass top surfaces, it should be okay.

We just got a glass top stove. The manual specifically states that you aren't supposed to use cast iron on it because it may scratch the surface. Don't know if it's true or not and it probably depends on the skillet so take it for what it's worth.

Neil

Back