• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Can you breed giant super hots?

I have always wondered if one could hybridize a very large pepper variety such as a bell pepper or something even larger with a very hot pepper such as a Habanero, or perhaps even hotter (Naga or TS Butch T?). I always hoped for something REALLY BIG that would pack the heat of a Habanero or greater. :rofl:

Someone asked this question very recently. I believe the conclusion was that it can be done, but they aren't very stable. Also, nothing says that when you cross pollinate a bell and superhot that it'll take the size gene of the bell. Could just end up with a superhot LOOKING bell pepper.

I dont see why this would be anhy different than any other breeding project. Cross your parents, grow out and self F1, then start selecting for segregating traits you are interested in in the F2 generation and stabilize and reselect over the next few generations.

Maybe someone with more experience breeding peppers could chime in. Preferably with pics and examples.

I have breeding experience, but not yet with peppers. That is changing soon though.

Ryan

After you make your cross.....
grow out atleast 10 seeds from it choose the ones you like.

Once you have the ones you like you can cross it back to its parent whos genetics you wish to capture more.

I may be wrong but i think that would work someone with more knowledge may chime in

The problem is that your going to get a heat level that's in a way an average of the two peppers. So you'd expect any cross like this to have far less heat...

But there are crosses around that are pretty big, hippies naga/bonnet can get really big compared to superhots.

Have a look for pepperlovers newest post on the 7pod :eek: they look big!

I think that it might take many breeding sessions, and many trial-and errors but I believe that you could produce a very large, very hot pepper. It's all about patience and udnerstanding the goals you are trying to achieve.

I think there is a "geneticist" on the forum...maybe he will chime in here...

I would like to know if the genes/DNA sequence that produces capsaicin in peppers is dominant or recessive...that's the issue with crossing varieties...dominant traits vs recessive traits...or am I thinking too simple here...size is also controlled by DNA and I wonder about that too as far as recessive/dominant goes..

The problem is that your going to get a heat level that's in a way an average of the two peppers. So you'd expect any cross like this to have far less heat...

Thats in the F1 generation. after selfing that and growing out as many F2 seeds as possible, you would expect to see traits from both parents showing up in different combinations.

and you could always choose something close and back-cross to the hotter parent.

yes, it would take many generations, but it is very cool to see something you are working on start to take shape, and you may find combos you hadnt even thought of when first making the cross.

There is another site, dedicated to growing tomatoes, and they have a cross-hemisphere tomato breeding project going on so they can get multipole generations per year.

I know there are a bunch of Aussies on here, it might be worth doing to set something up like that. Many people with opposite seasons growing out the crosses. They are having pretty good success with tomatoes, I think it could work quickly to move genes around in peppers too.

I have always wondered if one could hybridize a very large pepper variety such as a bell pepper or something even larger with a very hot pepper such as a Habanero, or perhaps even hotter (Naga or TS Butch T?). I always hoped for something REALLY BIG that would pack the heat of a Habanero or greater. :rofl:

Look into Big Jims new mexico chili.

you could make a close to foot long Hybrid.

I currently have Big jims going right now for this purpose.
Im thinking yellow7 x big jim for a hot good size stuffing pepper

Jim Lytle Jr. has been working on breaking the family's record Big Jim. This year I had at least 100 in the 12' to 14'" range from 4 sacs of Big JIms. Here is pic of an example of one from this year's crop. Huge, but not superhot by any means.

Screenshot2011-11-22at94905AM.png

Back