• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Burpee Pellets?

Ok, so i have some of these Burpee pellets that you expand with 1 1/2 ounces of water, what the heck is it, coir? If so, thats a nutrient-less mix, right?

I think they have both peat and coir, but the only ones I have seen in the stores is the coir. I tried it this year as well and am pleased. Seems to work good. But I had the bricks that expand to 8 quarts of mix and not the pellets, but it is just the same media in a different form.

jacob

I remember looking at different Burpee germination options and recall that different products had different kinds of materials in them. Burpee does have a coir pellet that is just coir. So, you might want to look at the place you bought them from in order to check the label.

Pretty much all seed starting mixes will need some sort of fertilization when the seedlings start getting their second set of leaves unless you use a mix with time released fert already mixed in. Coir does have specific nutes due to the fact that it builds up with salt easily, but if you will pot up to a different media then it isn't a big deal. Not sure about the time frame before it becomes a problem as I do not leave them in the coir, but transplant to a peat based mix instead.

jacob

I'm a fan of the Burpee coir pellets. They are a lot easier to deal with than peat pellets (e.g. Jiffy), and peppers do seem to like them better - it could be a pH thing, not sure, but pepper seedlings do grow better in coir than in peat. The coir also does not quite harden like a brick if they get dry, as the peat pellets do.

It's just a growing/starting medium; there is no nutritional value. I give my seedlings a squirt of weak fertilizer after the 1st true leaves are up.

I love those pellets. I really love the 1/2 size 25 cell tray w/ slightly bigger pellets and netting. I think they gave the coir a slight nutrient charge so you don't need to fertilize right away.

I used them and my only suggestion is to make sure they are very moist when you pot up, if the mix is dry it will fall completely off the roots when you extract it from the cup leaving you a great view of the root system.

SV1000 said:
I used them and my only suggestion is to make sure they are very moist when you pot up, if the mix is dry it will fall completely off the roots when you extract it from the cup leaving you a great view of the root system.

+1 on that.

But, if you plant more than one seed it makes separating them so easy.

Back