• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Best cheap soil(or mixture) from retail stores for containers?

I've never paid any mind to mulch when it came to helping plants retain nutes and moister. Always thought it was just decorative. Stupid me! I live in the desert where temps rise to mid 100 on certain days. I think I'll invest in some hay. Any suggestions?

Elpicante said:
I've never paid any mind to mulch when it came to helping plants retain nutes and moister. Always thought it was just decorative. Stupid me! I live in the desert where temps rise to mid 100 on certain days. I think I'll invest in some hay. Any suggestions?

Just one...  invest in some hay. :D

Good old alfalfa has always been king for me.  But use what you have available.  I always try to encourage people to use alfalfa hay, because it has goodies, besides just its mulch function.  But alfalfa can be VERY expensive in some areas - especially if there is not agriculture that revolves around lots of livestock.  If you have a farm and feed store close by, check that out.

Might not want to wear that coat when you go to pay the farm folk a visit, though.   :rofl:

solid7 said:

Just one...  invest in some hay. :D

Good old alfalfa has always been king for me.  But use what you have available.  I always try to encourage people to use alfalfa hay, because it has goodies, besides just its mulch function.  But alfalfa can be VERY expensive in some areas - especially if there is not agriculture that revolves around lots of livestock.  If you have a farm and feed store close by, check that out.

Might not want to wear that coat when you go to pay the farm folk a visit, though.   :rofl:
Lol is this any better

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 74
Elpicante said:
'Is alfalfa going to attract critters like mice or desert rats

Not really sure, to be quite honest.  If it's one the ground, it's entirely plausible that they'd use any kind of mulch that you lay down.  If you're talking about storing bales, then I'd be a bit more careful about that, if it's a concern.  Make it a point to use whatever you buy right away, in that case.

solid7 said:

Not really sure, to be quite honest.  If it's one the ground, it's entirely plausible that they'd use any kind of mulch that you lay down.  If you're talking about storing bales, then I'd be a bit more careful about that, if it's a concern.  Make it a point to use whatever you buy right away, in that case.
I went to my local feed store and got me a bail of alfalfa #2 for $14.00 I think that should be enough for my entire bed. I think! Lay down a 2-3 in thinket water it down. I don't have a weed problem mostly its for sun and heat protection. I'll post before and after pics later today.

Elpicante said:
I went to my local feed store and got me a bail of alfalfa #2 for $14.00 I think that should be enough for my entire bed. I think! Lay down a 2-3 in thinket water it down. I don't have a weed problem mostly its for sun and heat protection. I'll post before and after pics later today.

:thumbsup:

That's a pretty good price for a single bale.  You would probably do well to double that amount, since it's going to reduce down to about 1/4" thick fairly quickly, but it's a good start.
Even if you don't have a weed problem, it's heat protection is exactly what it's for.  Especially if you have even light winds.  Out there in your dry climate, it will promote evaporative cooling.  Which means you might (possibly, I'm not entirely sure) need to water a little more, but you'll get a good effect from it.

solid7 said:

:thumbsup:

That's a pretty good price for a single bale.  You would probably do well to double that amount, since it's going to reduce down to about 1/4" thick fairly quickly, but it's a good start.
Even if you don't have a weed problem, it's heat protection is exactly what it's for.  Especially if you have even light winds.  Out there in your dry climate, it will promote evaporative cooling.  Which means you might (possibly, I'm not entirely sure) need to water a little more, but you'll get a good effect from it.

The chickens got to them while I was gone for the week at college and plucked just about every leaf off all of them. And broke 2 stems.

I guess this year wasn't meant to work out. I have a bunch of seeds, I'll start fresh next year. I still have Peat Moss and Perlite.

Can't believe that happened..

Back