• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Average time from fruit set to harvest

Just curious what your experiences are regarding the time it takes pods to grow and ripen after fruit set? I realize it varies by variety but a ball park figure or even a variety:time response would be great reference for the future :-D

depends on the variety/species/temperature (I've noticed when it cools down in October here they ripen faster)

...jalapenos take forever but habs take around 3-5 weeks. *shrug*

ikeepfish said:
depends on the variety/species/temperature (I've noticed when it cools down in October here they ripen faster)

...jalapenos take forever but habs take around 3-5 weeks. *shrug*

Yea jalapenos are slow as crap.

I would say most of my pods ripen after getting to full size +1-4 weeks depending on type.. But I've never really kept track of exact dates so its just a guess.

spysee said:
Yea jalapenos are slow as crap.

I would say most of my pods ripen after getting to full size +1-4 weeks depending on type.. But I've never really kept track of exact dates so its just a guess.
it seems to me jalapeños might be bred somehow to be slower ripening, due to the huge commercial demand for green japs and very little for red ripe. Maybe that's my imagination.

chile_freak said:
it seems to me jalapeños might be bred somehow to be slower ripening, due to the huge commercial demand for green japs and very little for red ripe. Maybe that's my imagination.

Maybe that's why we eat em green - we just got sick and tired of waiting for them to ripen :)

This is probably a stupid question......but when harvesting green chillies, do you just pick when they have reached full size or is there a specific (strain specific?) period of time to pick after the pod reaches full size? Cheers!!

Celtic67 said:
This is probably a stupid question......but when harvesting green chillies, do you just pick when they have reached full size or is there a specific (strain specific?) period of time to pick after the pod reaches full size? Cheers!!
mostly I don't pick til ripe! That being said, the longer they are on the plant the more the flavor will develope until they ripen!
If I had to give an avg 3-6 weeks from full size pods til ripe!

Back