anyone in Va making salsa,sauces

hixs

Banned
Question to anyone with advise---Not samples but canned,bottled,what office to contact to find out the regs?extension,health and USDA and still confused.Talked to all but no one knows.Thanks for all input.Have a great one.

hixs said:
Thanks JayT.Really appreciate it.The gov offices are driving me crazy!

Are you wanting to produce the sauce in your home or will you be using a commercial kitchen? I'm in Frederick County and the hoops were very minimal. I needed a business license from the county. The zoning department will be able to tell you if you're allowed to commercially cook in your home. Just don't lead on that you're making large batches. Hint that everything is low key and you won't have a problem. The State Board of Health is the inspecting authority. So the steps are:

Get proof of Zoning
Obtain your business license
Get your inspection from the State

Your state inspection will cover all FDA regulations. If you are producing anything containing meat then good luck. I think you will need a special USDA inspection and a lot more hoop jumping.

Hey thanks cajun,,,We are chasing our tails right now.The health dept has no buisness-The FDA doesn`t exactly know being as -no meat is involved.From what i`ve been able to find is that i`ll fall under temp rest status not needing the full gambit.But building homes as told me that ---Damn they just (the different agencies just can`t get it together.) do`nt have a clue at times. Rich

hixs said:
Hey thanks cajun,,,We are chasing our tails right now.The health dept has no buisness-The FDA doesn`t exactly know being as -no meat is involved.From what i`ve been able to find is that i`ll fall under temp rest status not needing the full gambit.But building homes as told me that ---Damn they just (the different agencies just can`t get it together.) do`nt have a clue at times. Rich

Rich,

By Health Dept do you mean county or State? Inspections are conducted by the State. I'll PM you a phone number of an inspector a lil later after I retrieve my phone.

hey thanks cajun,,,i`ve dealy with county health, local extension and the usda office out of charlottesville.Would really love any guidance you might be able to give me .Thank you for help .pm you my stuff. rich

Back