• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Any good Deer recipes???

POTAWIE said:
I just got my casings and seasonings and "The venison sausage cookbook a complete guide, from field to table" which looks like a great book so far. I can't wait to get started

I made some really good breakfast sausage and some awesome Italian sausage. I will dig out the recipe again and post it.

I dont know if your book or recipe mentions this but with my casings, which I have only used natural, after rining them I soak them in warm water with a littl ebit 1tsp of vinegar this helps in makeing them more pliable and also more transparent --

I just made some venison pepper sticks and summer sausage from kits I ordered. I found the summer sausage a little difficult to stuff without air pockets but the pepper sticks with collagen casings worked out very well. I am incredibly happy with the taste but would like to try my own recipes soon with a little more spice and less additives. I have another kit for fresh sausage with hog casings that I am anxious to try too.

There shouldn't be so many air pockets but Its my first time.:(

I made a big stew a while back and used venison for the meat..We had company over and I started talking about game meat..my buddys wife kept saying she didnt like the taste of deer!!!So I didnt tell her what was in the stew till after dinner lol

Looks good Potawie !! You'll get the hang of it If the air pockets are too big you can pin prick them but in sausage I tend to leave em when they are the grill they expand anyways.... I'm getting things together to make the snack sticks soon myself :drooling:

Snow day today so I might try smoking some more snack sticks. That is if I can dig out the smoker from under all the snow. We just got another 37cm yesterday. Its going to look funny with the smoker going from within a snow bank.

Back