• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Another ? regarding container growing

What do you all use as soil? Top Soil, plain dirt, potting soil? Do you add mulch at the top?

I have some really great soil on top on the ground that is dead. I can add N-P-K and nutrients and probably a worm or two per 5-gallon container if I need to.

Also, do I need to drape the sides of the containers with white plastic until the plants get big enough to shade them? When I picked the pots up Wednesday, they were more than warm - and it was not a bright, sunny day as we see in the middle of summer. Or maybe dig a trench and put the containers in it? I could mix the dead soil in with my compost and hopefully return it to fertility in a couple of years.

I'm talking about approximately 400 square feet of garden here, so if I can reclaim it down the road, it would save me a lot of work and water.

Mike

More than 2 worms please, they make nice holes and fertilize too
Dead soil? No worms living in it either?
I'm sure it's fine.
but you can rebuild it. Make it stronger than before. Make the first bionic 6 million dollar soil.
If the PH is between 6.8 and 6.5 your ok. Is it toxic to plants or what?
If weeds grow in, it then peppers will.

Weeds don't gtow. Green beans never grew, nor did lettuce or potatoes. Basil grew but not very good. With the exception of the potatoes, and they were old spuds, stuff would sprout but never grow.

Mike

Raised Beds! You get the benefit of "in ground" with the easier weeding, watering, etc. plus soil control of containers.

We did this with a thin layer of top soil from lowe's, a thin layer of manure, and then 8 inches or so of top soil. The plants love it.

Untreated lumber is cheap and will not leach chemicals into the soil. They deteriorate over the years but are easy and cheap to replace.

Back