vendor Amishland Heirloom Seeds

Just wanted to briefly share my experience with Amishland.

I ordered my seeds back around Christmas time. I had seen a post on another forum that referenced a Seed blend pack for a good price, and decided to jump on it. She had entertaining stories about how she had acquired each variety, and I felt sorry for her RE her broken back.

I purchased two packages of seed - the "Oh-my-Aching-Back" Pepper seed mix, and the Purple Glow In The Dark pepper.

Immediately after the order, there was an automatic reply to my purchase saying that the seeds wouldn't be ready for a week or two. I wasn't too surprised by this as I had googled the company prior to the purchase, and this seems to be her standard operating procedure. After a week, I sent her a friendly email asking about the ETA. Her reply was brusque and terse: She said they were coming soon, don't I know she's got a broken back? How can she possibly send everything out in a timely manner in light of her life problems. I replied that I understand life being a problem, but she is a business, and my question was friendly. Her reply was: I mailed them out today.

I received no extra packets of seed which seems contrary to the standard operating procedure of most seed companies these days.

HOWEVER, on the Aching Back mix - I was only supposed to receive about 50-75 seeds, though in the package were nearly 150. I was pretty happy about that. The package had a surprising amount of chaff (seed pod parts, placenta and so forth) mixed in... Little wonder she had a hard time telling just exactly how many were in there.

I had fair germination rates on both packets of seed.

Turns out the Purple G.I.T.D. pepper is probably an Explosive Ember, but with a different name. The picture listed is NOT the plant that grew. Of course I knew this could be the situation since she admitted that she took no efforts to isolate (due to a broken back), and so I don't mind that it looks different. It does however bother me that the name was changed, this smacks of greed in my view.

One of my current favorite peppers came from the seed mix. It is yet another pepper whose name has been changed by the vendor. The "sweet amish stuffing pepper" is actually "Sweet Amish Apple Pepper" according to members of the forum. Either way, whatever its called I like the taste of it, and have been sharing seed for it.

In the end, I rate her a 3 out of 5. A 5 means everything was better than expected, a 1 means I hope mites infest your garden.

Customer Service: 2
Seed Quantity: 5
Seed Quality: 3
Other: 1 (for changing pepper names, and adding to the confusion to make extra $$).

I ordered my seeds back around Christmas time. I had seen a post on another forum that referenced a Seed blend pack for a good price, and decided to jump on it. She had entertaining stories about how she had acquired each variety, and I felt sorry for her RE her broken back.

I purchased two packages of seed - the "Oh-my-Aching-Back" Pepper seed mix, and the Purple Glow In The Dark pepper.

Immediately after the order, there was an automatic reply to my purchase saying that the seeds wouldn't be ready for a week or two. I wasn't too surprised by this as I had googled the company prior to the purchase, and this seems to be her standard operating procedure. After a week, I sent her a friendly email asking about the ETA. Her reply was brusque and terse: She said they were coming soon, don't I know she's got a broken back? How can she possibly send everything out in a timely manner in light of her life problems. I replied that I understand life being a problem, but she is a business, and my question was friendly. Her reply was: I mailed them out today.

I received no extra packets of seed which seems contrary to the standard operating procedure of most seed companies these days.

HOWEVER, on the Aching Back mix - I was only supposed to receive about 50-75 seeds, though in the package were nearly 150. I was pretty happy about that. The package had a surprising amount of chaff (seed pod parts, placenta and so forth) mixed in... Little wonder she had a hard time telling just exactly how many were in there.

Turns out the Purple G.I.T.D. pepper is probably an Explosive Ember, but with a different name. The picture listed is NOT the plant that grew. Of course I knew this could be the situation since she admitted that she took no efforts to isolate (due to a broken back), and so I don't mind that it looks different. It does however bother me that the name was changed, this smacks of greed in my view.

One of my current favorite peppers came from the seed mix. It is yet another pepper whose name has been changed by the vendor. The "sweet amish stuffing pepper" is actually "Sweet Amish Apple Pepper" according to members of the forum. Either way, whatever its called I like the taste of it, and have been sharing seed for it.

In the end, I rate her a 3 out of 5. A 5 means everything was better than expected, a 1 means I hope mites infest your garden.

Other: 1 (for changing pepper names, and adding to the confusion to make extra $$).

Interesting. I too ordered the "Purple Glow in the Dark" as well as some "Turkey Hot Chili Pepper" seeds. I received an email this morning that there would be a delay in getting the seed, but it's not really all that consequential for me right now whether or not I receive them in the immediate sense. It reads:

"I am sorry but I have just had a bad situation where I am losing one of my gardens where I grow out seeds, at another location, and I am scrambling to make my growing area at the farm much larger to grow more seed stock plants at this location. Time is of the essence. Also my friend who helps me pack seeds for mailing is going through a nasty divorce and just informed me that she can't work for me this summer."

Honestly, just say it's delayed - the cause is irrelevant.

"I am hoping to get caught up on mailing and most orders ( up to June 1) should be filled on Monday, the later orders will go out later this week."

Ok, no big deal. I'll watch for them ...

"Thanks for understanding that life often hands you lemons when you least expect it. I am trying my best to have my seed stock planted or I will not have a seed business at all."

This part, totally unnecessary. Without a smiley face or something to lighten the message, it's a little heavy for customer correspondence. With any combination of both scenarios, I wish her luck in life and business. Life's too short to short to get bent over <$20 purchases =)

And chiles. She used to have bishop's crown labelled: from France "TURK'S TURBAN HOT CHILE PEPPER ~NEW~RARE~MAY BE ONLY USA SEED SOURCE"

She also had an excuse when I ordered that there was some sort of tragedy in her family that she had to deal with so seeds would be late. Seems like she always had something holding her back from good businness.
When I complained to her that 1 was missing 1 pack of seeds but paid for it, she instantly accused me of being wrong and said she even sent me some free seeds and I should be thankful. When I told her specifically that I ordered 2 pack of a needed variety and only got 1 then she eventually refunded the cost of the seeds although I still probably paid for shipping and would have rather just got what I ordered in the first place

I didn't know the Amish would BE online. Now, where electricity is forbidden - I do wonder about these new photon driven computers.

"Yep, Maleckie has a 1.9 Terahertz photon Intel back in the barn - with an OC-192 (all fiber and photon, no electric)"

I'd say if it's online ? It can't be Amish.

I could be wrong.

And chiles. She used to have bishop's crown labelled: from France "TURK'S TURBAN HOT CHILE PEPPER ~NEW~RARE~MAY BE ONLY USA SEED SOURCE"

She also had an excuse when I ordered that there was some sort of tragedy in her family that she had to deal with so seeds would be late. Seems like she always had something holding her back from good businness.
When I complained to her that 1 was missing 1 pack of seeds but paid for it, she instantly accused me of being wrong and said she even sent me some free seeds and I should be thankful. When I told her specifically that I ordered 2 pack of a needed variety and only got 1 then she eventually refunded the cost of the seeds although I still probably paid for shipping and would have rather just got what I ordered in the first place

This doesn't sound like the Amish.

Sounds more like Thailand.

"you look - you buy !"

"touched my porch- mine now" SNL

I ordered Yellow Hinkelhatz (Yellow Chicken-Heart) from her towards the end of the winter. It took far too long for her to get them in the mail. When they finally arrived, they were moldy and gray. She even knew she was sending seeds to another grower after I sent her a PM prior to ordering and sent me complete junk.

Back