• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting adding a fruit to fermented hot sauce

Hello, I'm fairly new to hot sauce making and this is my first post on this forum. So far I am fermenting some peppers and other items and plan on them after fermentation, adding some of the brine, vinegar and some mango puree. Do I need to cook down the mixture when I add the mango? If so why? Does it have something to do with the sugars causing more fermentation? Or is it a health concern? Thanks in advance.

Adding sugar will restart fermentation unless you pasteurise beforehand to kill all dormant yeast. Note that while killing yeast, you also kill all natural preservatives (yeast being one of them). Thus, after pasteurisation, you either need to vacuum seal or add more preservatives. Vinegar at a strong enough level of acidity (over 5% or so) is a good preservative.

Lacto bacteria can still be active to at least 3.2pH so its either kill them or dont give them additional sugars to eat. After 3pH they are more or less done but some activity is still possible. The safest plan is pasteurize after lacto fermentation or keep the sauce VERY cold.

Pasteurized, 3.6pH and kept cold will last indefinitely. Canned and sealed will last outside refrigeration for a super long time too. I refrigerate everything after its opened unless im using straight vinegar.

Back