• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying About to dehydrate some Ghost Peppers and Thai Chilies. Any Tips or suggestions?

I plan on Dehydrating these peppers so I can have spicy red pepper flakes.  Should I combine the flakes or keep them seperate?  If anyone has tips on how to do this or good recipies for dried out peppers let me know.  I have only done Beef and Venison Jerky before, I have never dried out peppers before.  I plan on leaving them as is and just let them go overnight.  How long should I keep them in?

I've read a lot of people split them longways and remove the seeds first so they dry evenly and faster

For the Thai, cut off the top only and leave intact. For the ghost, split down the middle long way and dry with the seeds facing the sky to preserve Capsaicin or seeds side down to allow them to fall out easily. As for drying time, you will need to check them until they are dry, no set time as there are many factors. 

I dried thai chilies and I took my machine a good three days. I have had chiiles that are not quite dry. You really know it when you try to powder them. Now I give it a good day longer to be sure.

Rymerpt

Back