• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container 2 plants in one pot 11-gal container?

I heard that 5 gal pots are ideal, but I've only got 11 gal pots available. Should I do 2 plants per pot, or just fill my pots halfway with soil?

(I have the plant containers that you buy a tree in at the nursery. The diameter of the opening is 15")
I'm wondering if it will be too crowded?

It's recommended that you never double up plants in a single container. The root systems will eventually threaten one another. Is there some way you could partition the pot down the middle into 2 pots in 1? That's the only thing I can think of.

It's recommended that you never double up plants in a single container. The root systems will eventually threaten one another. Is there some way you could partition the pot down the middle into 2 pots in 1? That's the only thing I can think of.

Well I could get some wood to put down the middle in order to separate the plants. Do you think that would work?

I might end up using separate pots if it's unhealthy for my plants.

If you're destroying the plants at the end of the year, there's nothing to worry about.

If they're going to be around longer than one season, they'll both be underperforming as they choke each other out and you'll never separate them after a year of the roots entwining.

Do it. You will not have too many issues the first year. Just make sure you use a good mix and feed regularly.

I had these 4 plants in a 15 or 16 gallon a couple years ago. Just a couple weeks between pictures. You can see they clearly grew better than those in the ground behind them in the last picture.

I don't think I'll be overwintering any plants this year (I'm a first time grower).

@millworkman those pics are great! I think I'll be doing the same thing with my plants then.

Thanks guys

Now now, I'm sure the sacrificial blood of the innocents has a purely scientific basis for improving crop yield and vigor.

Hey, bloodmeal and bonemeal work wonders. But really its mostly overwintered leaf mold some cow manure and some hard ass east tn red clay.

I heard that 5 gal pots are ideal, but I've only got 11 gal pots available. Should I do 2 plants per pot, or just fill my pots halfway with soil?

(I have the plant containers that you buy a tree in at the nursery. The diameter of the opening is 15")
I'm wondering if it will be too crowded?
do it! they should be fine! :welcome: to THP fellow torontonian!

Back