• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering 1st winter start

Last summer was the first time I have grown anything other than the typical, readily available greenhouse variety peppers.
This year is the first time I will be planting in December. That really makes you think ahead to were you want to be when the regular planting season begins. Since this is also the first time I will be germinating and growing for an extended period under HID, I am faced with numerous questions regarding growth rates to expect and minimum container sizes pre-outdoor grow. I know that super hots need to go into the dirt around now. the question is, with a last frost date of May 1-15 here in zone 5b, What size should I expect the plants to have acheived by that time? (General conditions being considered). I started my super hots last year in late may and plants acheived 3' with pods ripening indoors as first frosts came on time. I dont want 36 3' plants come April 1st.

Advice? I am all ears....

I have 6 month old plants that are over 4 foot tall indoors. You can keep them in 1 gallon pots or bags and trim them until you put them out in spring. Once you get ready to go outside transplant them to 5 gallon or bigger and they will take of like rockets. Alot depends on how you feed them light they have pruning techniques you use.

I have looked at several trimming techniques. I think the downside is that trimming may reduce drastically the height of the plant, but the resulting growth is outward creating a more dense canopy. And thereby less sq feet of grow room per plant. what guidelines do you use for trimming?

Back