• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Trying to make peperspray

peppamang said:
How easy would it be to get a close to anhydrous ethanol product out of Everclear with fractional distillation? You've got around 20 degrees to work with inbetween them. Or are there too many contaminants in Everclear? I hear a lot of people use everclear for pepper oil. 

If not I've heard people using acetone, probably easier to get anhydrous acetone than ethanol.

It is impossible to get anhydrous ethanol by distillation since it forms an azeotrope with water. And why would we make an anhydrous solvent if we have some in the lab with similar polarity?

salsalady said:
What is the purpose of this fun experiment, to actually make a capsaicin product in a pressureized cannister that can be administered like commercial pepper spray and bear spray?  Maybe using some extraction methods might be the way to go.

Or to just make a capsaicin spray that can be spritzed with a plastic spray bottle?  Soak some superhot peppers in vodka, strain, maybe mix with water in a spray bottle= pepperspray.
The goal is to purify the capsaicin in the best possible way, just proof of concept in the lab. Probably we will dissolve it in a solvent to spray it around.

Edmick said:
I accidentally pepper sprayed myself when I was a kid. I emptied an entire bottle into the sink of the bathroom for fun and the fumes got me. Came running out of the bathroom choking not being able to open my eyes. My parents were not pleased.. lol
Me and a buddy got suspended from school for 2 weeks in 7th grade for spraying some onto the seat in the backseat of the school bus, lol. The entire bus (like 30-40 kids) had to go to the emergency room

I got my ass WHOOPED when I got home, hahaha!

Back