Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 10-12 hours

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 14-16 hours

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • all day regardless

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
I have a few plants that survived and i was wondering how much sun is to much sun?

the temps are around 80 during the day and 60-65 at night so not to bad, but the sun comes up at 5:00am and goes down at 10:00pm, i have plants in the sun all day long.
is it to much?
should i put them in a place were they get shade throughout the day?

some wilt by mid afternoon
the ones ive had outside for a week now wilt by noon
and other dont wilt at all

so let me know what what you think, its not a weak sun light either, its pretty intense lol

Mine get shade in the morning, sunlight  all afternoon, then shade in the early evening. That is the way it works where they are on the porch.

A lot of plants seem to enjoy the sun at the extremes, meaning morning sun or late afternoon sun. The plants drooping isn't as bad as you think btw.

Is there a spot on the property where they can get sun from 5:00am to 1:00 or 2:00pm? That would be 8 to 9 hours and enough for most of them to get huge. As your weather cools you can allow for more sun.

There is one plant i know that gets much bigger with 2 or 3 hours of extra sun, the Aji Habanero (baccatum). If given 5 to 6 sun hours the plants won't get that large, if given 8 hours+ the plants balloon into a monster with hundreds of pods. I'm recreating this little experiment for a third year in a row, both in the ground and in pots. And so far it seems to be panning out with the same results.

if i move them from 1 side of the walkway to other it gets sun like 9-2 then later at like 6-10 again, or it gets 5am-10pm on other side of walkway lol

I have some that do well with 9 or 10 am to sunset and a couple that don't get sun until 10 or 11.  My bhut gets the later sun, shade all morning and is doing very well.

depends on if you like bigger or smaller leaves, if you like plants with huge leaves don't give them any direct sun and they'll still produce a lot and grow pretty well

if you harden them off properly they'll grow with smaller leaves but they'll be fine, might produce more but not a substantial amount more

Balduvian said:
if i move them from 1 side of the walkway to other it gets sun like 9-2 then later at like 6-10 again, or it gets 5am-10pm on other side of walkway lol
The 1 side that gets 9-2 then 6-10 sounds like a great compromise, that's still around 10 hours sun total.

And like i said before, you can move them into full sun as your weather begins to cool.

Back