• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

food-safety Star San and Spray Bottles question

I wanted to use my next batch of StarSan thru a spray bottle, but I'm not sure this is going to handle it well. I know it can eat thru some plastics. Anyone ever use these Zep sprayers with StarSan?
Also looking for cost effective storage options for keeping the gallon of it on hand, for future use. I kept it in a square plastic 2 bucket last time.. Not looking to do that again. 
Thanks. 

5VWsx6Ul.jpg

According to Five Star chemicals, you should only mix the required quantity as StarSan won't keep it's sanitizing properties over time

Attachments

• SS.JPG
    SS.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 115
Bou said:
According to Five Star chemicals, you should only mix the required quantity as StarSan won't keep it's sanitizing properties over time

I've read that, but weighed it against quite a few other mentions of it keeping for short periods of time, especially in glass. And I'm only talking 1-2 months really, at most.. Or, alternately, just mix up 1.5cc for this bottle and scrap it.. But that gets costly if I'm doing a batch today, one tomorrow.. Only having to sanitize 1-3 jars at a time, along with other random uses.. Just because it's on hand. The smaller you mix stuff like this, the harder it gets to formulate correctly, IMO. I'd much rather mix it up at 1/2g-gallon and be able to keep it on hand.. Short term. 
Here's one of the links I was using to refresh my memory of it.. Last time I used the dunk method, which felt wasteful and left me with a lot of unused 'chemical'.
https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/09/tip-using-star-san-in-spray-bottle.html

I'm definitely more interested in what those here have to say in regards to this use and storage of it, though.. Call me bias. Even dumping on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, with a 1/2 gallon batch would be great by me. Just trying to reduce costs and maximize use. 

Tybo said:
I have a plastic spray bottle called Spraymaster.  It says it's chemical resistant and has a 5 year warranty.  I have star san mixed in it that's been in there since last summer.  Still works.
Here it is on the Wallyworld Site:
7f603240-f10c-4a89-b4f6-53001123a179_1.6a282d6fd69bc1047aeb4970d51a2c2b.jpeg
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SprayMaster-Spray-Bottle/19241284?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222018077030&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10355206146&wl4=pla-4578091569725961&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=19241284_10001026848&wl14=spraymaster%20bottle&veh=sem&msclkid=1d654ee5cac71be0beff11a9c4c5a715
Nice! Are you mixing straight in the bottle? Curious as to your solution ratio. When's the last time you tested the pH?

For what it's worth, I use a regular dollar store spray bottle and mix the minimum quantity each time. I do not get rid of any leftover though, I just let it sit in the bottle which I store in a cabinet and next time I need some, I simply add water and the proper amount of SS direct in the leftover. Maybe I sould not but never had any issues yet doing so...

About the pH,I was curious too so I just tested a month and a half old batch from last time I brewed and as you can see, the pH is still around 2.7

Attachments

• SS.JPG
    SS.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 105
CraftyFox said:
Nice! Are you mixing straight in the bottle? Curious as to your solution ratio. When's the last time you tested the pH?

Nice! Are you mixing straight in the bottle?----Yes
Curious as to your solution ratio.---------------1.5ml star san per 32oz. water  (1.4787 rounded up)
When's the last time you tested the pH?------Today.  See photo
IMG_2620.jpeg

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.  I saw your post earlier and it slipped my feeble mind.  As far as the solution ratio I just followed the instructions on the Star San bottle.  They said 1oz to 5 gallons.  
1oz=29.574ml
29.574/20qts=1.4787 or 1.5ml per qt.  

[SIZE=10.5pt]I haven't been comfortable mixing it and keeping it any significant length of time.  I've often mixed it and kept it around a few days, though.  I’ve never had a problem keeping it in regular plastic spray bottles, but I’ve over-soaked beer lines (like forgetting them soaking for a week or more) and after a while the exterior gets gummy and they discolor.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My understanding is SS has both a detergent (not a harsh one as I understand it, as yeast will actually feed off it) and low pH acids that work together as antimicrobials.  I've heard podcasts with Charlie Talley where he recommended keeping it in a cool dark place after mixing and continuing to use it until it starts to get cloudy.  Even after becoming cloudy, though, I've tested the pH as remaining in the low/mid 2's.  I'm not sure what that means for efficacy, though - when it’s cloudy but the pH remains in the zone - with Charlie saying “use until cloudy” and other secondary sources I’ve read indicating monitoring pH, alone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Another thing Charlie said on a podcast is that the FDA restricts what 5-Star puts on labels.  For instance, 5-Star indicates soaking for a full 2 minutes, but Charlie said Star San kills much faster than that, they just aren't allowed to advertise that on the product for whatever reason.  I wonder if that might explain why the label says to use it immediately, as Bou posted, which seems in conflict with what I've heard as to it lasting for at least a little while.[/SIZE]

Oh, and FWIW I bottle mix like Tybo does, usually rounding up the ml's just a little for smaller batches. When I first started using the stuff I was going through it way too fast.

Back