Hello! (And an introduction of my Capsicum flexuosum hybrids)

Hi folks, I came across this forum and thought it would be a good place to discuss growing wild chillis (Capsicum schottianum, C. friburguense, C. caatingae etc.) as well as documenting my chilli hybrid successes and failures.

This summer, following the scientific literature, I was able to successfully hand-pollinate Capsicum flexuosum (the cold hardy chilli; male) with Capsicum annuum 'Black Cobra' and also Capsicum annuum var glabriusculum 'Chilpaya Los Tuxtlas', both as the female.

The seeds I obtained from this cross were from multiple fruits, and two different flexuosum plants from two different vendors were used. Hopefully there is some robust genetics in there because of this. I also have more flexuosum plants now (about ten in total) so I can continue other lines next year.

I have plants from the F1 generation of both hybrids germinating right now. I will select for cold-hardiness over several generations by selecting for similar leaf morphologies to the C. flexuosum parent. My working hypothesis is that the cold tolerance comes from a particularly thick waxy layer on the leaf surface which prevents water adherance (and hence protection against light frosts). The two other properties which impart cold tolerance are the presence of trichomes and I suppose antifreeze proteins . C. flexuosum has very glabrous leaves and stems and if there are any antifreeze proteins, I won't be able to tell, so selecting for leaf similarities in leaf morphology is my proxy for cold tolerance going forward.

1695765140565.png

This summer, following the scientific literature, I was able to successfully hand-pollinate Capsicum flexuosum (the cold hardy chilli; male) with Capsicum annuum 'Black Cobra' and also Capsicum annuum var glabriusculum 'Chilpaya Los Tuxtlas', both as the female.

The seeds I obtained from this cross were from multiple fruits, and two different flexuosum plants from two different vendors were used. Hopefully there is some robust genetics in there because of this. I also have more flexuosum plants now (about ten in total) so I can continue other lines next year.

I have plants from the F1 generation of both hybrids germinating right now. I will select for cold-hardiness over several generations by selecting for similar leaf morphologies to the C. flexuosum parent.

Welcome!

When you say you have plants from F1 germinating I assume you mean you have obtained F1 seeds but you’re still waiting for them to germinate?

C.flexuosum is not known to successfully cross with anything thus far. Getting F1 seeds using it as the male or female is quite easy, I’ve done this several times. Having actual viable F1 seeds is a whole different ball-game.

We’d certainly love to hear if you get seedlings and if they aren’t selfs! I got excited one year with a potential flex hybrid seedling but it was a self from a stray pollen grain.

Trying things is a good way to learn though. I’ve been known to try the odd long shot 😄

Back