water Automatic Watering Schedule

Dear pepper fanatics,

I have purchased small drip emitters (< 0.25 GPH) and I am looking to fully automate my pepper grow room.

Is it better to water daily but short time (around a cup of water) or water thoroughly but once a week (until water escape from bottom of the air pots)?

The soil mixture I have is this ---> http://www.fafard.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Technical-Sheet-G6-AN.pdf

It's very aerated I dries very quickly at the grow room day cycle (76F / 35% / 16-8 light) .

I have 5 gallon air pots.

Many website talk about 420 stuff but habaneros ain't weed.  :P

Thanks for the help!
Laurent

I ran off an automated system all of last year, I ended up with 30 minutes every eight hours with watering times at 0600, 1400, and 2200. This was after trying different watering combination times, my soil was a mix of peat, perlite, garden soil and you also have to consider our temperatures in central FL. I would put it on delay for days we would have a lot of rain. This provided great success so I will be repeating this watering schedule this year as well.

Oh and I used 2gph, that will make a difference also.

Plant size...pot size...daily temps etc will need small adjustsments as needed.

Not sure if there is a one answer fits all conditions for you.

I dont have any exp with auto watering...just some things for you to think about.

Good luck :cheers:

I do it differently. Just maintain soil moisture between 30% - 40%. That's all.   

Thanks for the replies guys,

It's just they say the hotness/taste of the pepper is increased when the plants is under water stress...but then again on the forum people says infrequent watering cause blossom end rot...

I am confused...

Should I stress the plant (until wilt) or be regular at the watering schedule?

juanitos said:
no need to stress plants. there is no actual verified science that shows it increases capsaicinoids (that i've seen)

I have read the same in articles that "stressing" the plants is more of a gardening myth

ELCouz said:
Thanks for the replies guys,

It's just they say the hotness/taste of the pepper is increased when the plants is under water stress...but then again on the forum people says infrequent watering cause blossom end rot...

I am confused...

Should I stress the plant (until wilt) or be regular at the watering schedule?

I usually trust Paul W. Bosland (http://aces.nmsu.edu/academics/pes/paul-w-bosland.html) to give accurate info on pepper growing,  http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/H237/

The heat level in chile peppers is the result of two factors: the plant's genetics and the interaction of the plant with the environment. The genetic control of heat allows plant breeders to produce a chile pepper plant with a certain relative heat level. For example, the cultivar 'NuMex Joe E. Parker' was genetically selected to produce fruit of "medium" heat. However, environmental factors such as temperature and water influence the heat level. A mild chile pepper cultivar bred for low levels of heat will become hotter when exposed to any type of stress in the field. Conversely, a relatively hot cultivar given optimal environmental conditions will become only moderately hot. A chile pepper plant that genetically produces low-heat fruit will not produce hot chile peppers even when grown in a stressed environment. To produce chile peppers of a predictable heat, both cultivar selection and optimum stress-free growing conditions are important.

Should you do it on a regular basis? I wouldn't. But if it's the end of the season and a plant is producing fruit not up to expected heat level what do you have to lose?

`

juanitos said:
no need to stress plants. there is no actual verified science that shows it increases capsaicinoids (that i've seen)

Yep, second that.  There is actually more science to validate the notion that a plant that is provided a constantly optimal growing environment, will outproduce on every level.  Taste, heat, yield, health, etc.
The only possible exception would be lower heat plants.  There have been SOME studies that suggest a link to stress and increased heat levels.  But side by side studies with milds, hots, and superhots, only suggest a small difference on the lower heat varieties..

solid7 said:
But side by side studies with milds, hots, and superhots, only suggest a small difference on the lower heat varieties..

d9091b732e9f1ef8f8d4060b19ff9a7f.gif

And a link to just 1 of these scientific studies?

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
 And a link to just 1 of these scientific studies?

`

I posted it another topic some time ago.  (right here, in this very forum)

You're the overzealous master of link posting, about things, and for the sake of.  Feel free to find it, and repost it, yourself.  If you can find an animated gif of Obama sitting on a crate yawning, you should have no problem finding a study that I linked to.

I planted my chiles outside in Infrared-Transparent plastic mulch in zone 5. I had drip hoses underneath the plastic hooked up to a hose timer set for 20 minutes of water every 12 hours and had great results. Hope this helps...

Back