• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Upgraded our fermentation

2.6 gal pickle crock. Added airlock. Using a food grade collapsible bowl to keep peppers in brine with holes to allow the bubbles to rise. Pictured is 3 lb Brazilian starfish and 1 lb orange habanero in 4% brine. Pretty sure I can fit a couple more lbs ️

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_172608999.jpg
    IMG_20200920_172608999.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 114
Did you poke holes in the peppers? I'm no expert in fermentation but I always worry about the brine not getting inside the peppers so I usually just cut them in half.

I've had pretty good success with fermenting whole peppers without cutting them. I like to keep these smaller peppers like this whole so I can snack on them after fermentation. This will sit for 30 to 60 days so there's plenty of time for the lactic acid to penetrate.

Reactions: Siv
peppersproutfarm said:
I've had pretty good success with fermenting whole peppers without cutting them. I like to keep these smaller peppers like this whole so I can snack on them after fermentation. This will sit for 30 to 60 days so there's plenty of time for the lactic acid to penetrate.
I understand you have had success with fermenting whole peppers but you will have a more efficient ferment if you at least cut the tops off. I actually really recommend trying that for food safety reasons as well. The insides of your peppers may not be exposed to the salt brine and potentially could rot on the inside and look perfectly fine on the outside. 

Heady Beer said:
I understand you have had success with fermenting whole peppers but you will have a more efficient ferment if you at least cut the tops off. I actually really recommend trying that for food safety reasons as well. The insides of your peppers may not be exposed to the salt brine and potentially could rot on the inside and look perfectly fine on the outside.
It might help to know that I freeze all my "sauce" peppers first to ensure that the cell wall has broken down. It's also helps in the blending process prior to pasteurization. I know I'm new to this website however I have been doing this with great success for a few years now. This also ensures that I do not have seeds that could possibly float up causing mold issues.

peppersproutfarm said:
It might help to know that I freeze all my "sauce" peppers first to ensure that the cell wall has broken down. It's also helps in the blending process prior to pasteurization. I know I'm new to this website however I have been doing this with great success for a few years now. This also ensures that I do not have seeds that could possibly float up causing mold issues.

Oh that's very clever - I think I'll have to try that. You may be new but that doesn't mean we can't learn from you!

Back