water Self Watering Containers Up and Running

I got them going yesterday. It was 46 F overnight, which isn't too good. Five containers with 3 plants apiece of Kung Pao, Poblano, Jalapeño, Crunch Sweet Orange, and Ashe County Pimiento.

0480f7a91bd29c13eb40b46c1389900a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, they aren't truly self watering, but that's what they were called on the web site where I got the plan to make them. There is a reservoir of water below the potting medium, and the water wicks up into the soil. In that sense they are self watering because they get all the water they need until the reservoir is empty. I have to fill the reservoir once a week through the white plastic pipe that goes down to the reservoir.

The yield of peppers I get is way more than from the plants I have growing in a conventional garden.

Oh, that's pretty cool. Do you know where you got the design? I would like to look at the make up of it. I like seeing how things work.

Here is a picture from a couple of years ago. You can see how productive they are.

ee073a5cef2f94c8dc27bca0a2c45eb8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is very interesting. I will have to give it a go later this year after we move or next year depending on how things go. Thank you for that.

I do the same thing with buckets to create mobile plants and it works great.  Similar to this dude, except I use net pots instead of cottage cheese containers.  I also put bolts in my lower bucket to perfectly space the net pot and give a perfect reservoir depth.  With a overflow port drilled above the bolts, you just fill until it takes a leak out the side and you're good to go for a week or more.
Among other potting solutions, I am running 10 of these in 2-gallon frosting containers this year.  You can also get 5 gallon pickle buckets for a low price or even free from pretty much anywhere that sells stuff with pickles on it.  Just ask them if you could wrangle a few and when to pick them up.  Most places are pretty cool about saving a few for you.  Food grade and good to go.

Back