• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

heat Reducing the heat level of a sauce without changing it's flavor profile

One of the comments I've heard a number of times from my Cinder sauce it that it's hot.  Now I know that's ironic, being a hab sauce on a Hot Pepper website, but someone asked me at my table if I had it available in a medium or mild version.  This got me thinking.

How do I reduce the heat while keeping the taste the same?

The ingredients are very simple: Habanero Mash, Butternut, Tomatoes, Kosher Salt, Distilled White Vinegar

Do I halve the habanero mash and simply add in a lesser chile?  Do I reduce the habanero mash% and add more tomato?

Or, Is there a technique for simply reducing the heat to produce a "medium" version of Cinder?

You could use Habaneros or another type that have little to no heat with the same flavor. I believe Aji Dulse is one of them, and there are more types as well.

I think if you reduce the ones your using, and increase other ingredients your going to alter the flavor, and it might not be for the better.

Kalitarios said:

I don't think that will work  ;) for what I'm trying to do.

It would have to be an easy to find mash, as the co-packer would need it in that form.  I'll look into that type of chile.
I see. You are producing it through a company, which would make it much harder to find a mild habanero mash.

Unripe chiles have a totally different flavor.  I'd suggest lowering the % habs in the sauce.  The flavor may change a bit, no way to avoid that, but I think it's close enough.  Even trying to find a lesser heat habanero will probably change the flavor as it won't be the same chiles current being used.

Back