• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Questions about Growing C. pubescens

Hey Everyone,

I have lots of experience growing all of the Capsicum species besides pubescens. I've just never given them a shot, but I think this year I'd like to give it a try. I did look back over some of the older threads on it and got some info, but I was interested in seeing if any of the experts can weigh in on a few questions:

First, I'm in New Jersey, zone 7a (just outside of 6b) we have some hot summers and some real cold in the winter (although that's not quite as consistent as it used to be). If dormant, I'm wondering if the peppers could handle light frost? I can overwinter the plants in a sunporch which occasionally does get below 32, but it never plunges very low. Also, at times when the temp plunges, can the plant handle a dark garage for a few days?

Also, are there potting soil recommendations that are different than those of the other four species?

Last, what would you recommend as an entry-level starter? Red, yellow, orange, Ecuadorian Pepper from Hell? We've got 4 chileheads in the house so looking for something tasty and prolific!

Thank you for any suggestions or help!

Probably any big box store could be an issue, but I know HD sells some container soil that's been absolutely terrible, Kellogg in particular. What you have should work well. I haven't used HP Promix before, but my understanding is it's a high porosity/drainage soil, so it might not take water as easily and will likely dry out quicker during the summer, particularly using fabric pots. Mixing it with the MG and compost would probably help balance that out. Sometimes a shallow saucer underneath the fabric pot can help with absorption and retention.

I use EB Stone's Edna's Best soil most often, because it's available locally and works fine for me. I've used it on its own, but I often mix it with peat, compost, perlite, worm castings, etc. depending on the application.

P.S. You can always compensate by posting pictures of your loaded-down pepper plants later in the season! :)

Back