• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

bottling PROBLEMS BOTTLING SALSA

I need advice! I just started to bottle my salsa. I make it, let it cool, pour it into a bottle, put the label and top on the bottle, seal it with shrink wrap AND THEN IT STARTS TO BUBBLE INSIDE AND CAN LEAK! What am I doing wrong?
This is a great site, can't wait to order some of these items.
Thanks for any help.
Pat

Pat said:
I need advice! I just started to bottle my salsa. I make it, let it cool, pour it into a bottle, put the label and top on the bottle, seal it with shrink wrap AND THEN IT STARTS TO BUBBLE INSIDE AND CAN LEAK! What am I doing wrong?
This is a great site, can't wait to order some of these items.
Thanks for any help.
Pat

It seems to me that you're not actually sealing the bottles before shrink wrapping them; there must be air trapped inside and I'd guess they're fermenting.

We hot pour our bottles (with the exception of Hurricane Mash which goes into the jars raw), then cap them and use a heat sink to process them. I've never seen this problem.

T.

Agreed. We bottle ours at nearly 200 degrees, and doing so allows for a natural vacuum to form during the cooling down period. I don't know how your salsa would react at those temperatures, but not for only the natural vacuum, you also want to nullify the propagation of our little bacterial friends after the product has been bottled.

DEFCON Creator said:
Agreed. We bottle ours at nearly 200 degrees, and doing so allows for a natural vacuum to form during the cooling down period. I don't know how your salsa would react at those temperatures, but not for only the natural vacuum, you also want to nullify the propagation of our little bacterial friends after the product has been bottled.

Eeeeew, "bacteria" is a baaaaaad word.

T

DEFCON Creator said:
Perhaps little teeny bad monsters that multiply exponentially within a short amount of time, and have a bad habit of taking bites out of your insurance deductibles? :mrgreen:

Insurance... Oh right, that's that required stuff that costs hundreds of dollars a month and needs to be in place just in case someone drops dead from eating our little bacterial pals. Touch wood!

We like insurance; we just hate paying for it. :P

T

DEFCON Creator said:
Do I have to take the hayseed out of my mouth too?

But seriously, I found The Hartford to be some of the most inexpensive when it comes to liability/product insurance.

I suppose if Bubba doesn't mind you chewing on the hayseed, then you can keep it.

We're insured by Axa, I think. 2 mill liability. But when we do a show, we have a rider that bumps that up to 5 mill.

We're super careful about what we're making and being Canadian, that's excessive on a good day, but that's what we're required to do by law.

Some fun, huh kids?

T

Hmmm, perhaps I can 'still' keep my stained overalls though, I stick out in Jersey by wearing them.

Just for giggles, you may want to check out The Hartford Insurance Group. I'm not sure if they are available in Canada, but after we did a lot of shopping around, they were by far less expensive than anything we found. Just an idea.

DEFCON Creator said:
Hmmm, perhaps I can 'still' keep my stained overalls though, I stick out in Jersey by wearing them.

Just for giggles, you may want to check out The Hartford Insurance Group. I'm not sure if they are available in Canada, but after we did a lot of shopping around, they were by far less expensive than anything we found. Just an idea.

I will definitely do that when the insurance comes up for renewal. It's a very bad thing to cancel business and liability insurance in the middle of the year, around here.

T.

Back