• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

cooking Open cook off and rebottle?

I have about 10 or 11 jars of a hot sauce I made a month or so back heat packed in half pint jars. It is thinner then I enjoy and I just finally got woozies (more needed soon I now see) so I am wondering if it is safe to open them, dump in the ol kettle and boil/reduce it then bottle in fresh sterile bottles. Any advice for or against it?

I think that would be fine. Can't think of any reason against it. Maybe someone else can think of something~

Just remember to invert the woozies after they're capped.

SL

Nothing wrong with it, it's the same as using other hot sauces in your ingredients, or worcestershire from a fresh bottle, or whatever. As long as it's packed right both times.

No problem at all with cooking it down and repacking. I can my sauce in quart jars and just open one when needed and pour it into a 42oz ketchup bottle I keep in the fridge. Small woozies just don't last long enough to bother with. ;)

MMMMMMM has a nice dark almost BBQ sauce look and orannngeee. Thank you all for the confidence that I wouldn't kill anyone.....yet :rofl:

100_0563.jpg

In case anyone is wondering both volumes are on there so I don't end up with a bunch of one size extra I just black line the one that does not apply with a sharpie. Kinda also gives it that "not only a machine touched this" look. lol

Paulky This one unlike the pineapple...another story sorry....but this one doesn't sweeten you up then burn you. It burns you then says "oops forgot this" gives you the sweet then burns you more. Strictly my opinion. I am making more today since I only have 1 8oz left.

Yep, woozie is what the bottles are called. Megamoo, you are correct - the neck seals are heat shrinked. At home, you can use a hair dryer. At a co-packer, the neck seals are shrinked when the bottles go through the heat controlled processing lines.

Back