• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

consistency How to get that gelatin consistency?

I purchased a bottle of this sauce, Grace Scotch Bonnet... it has this consistency that is hard to describe but it is fluid, yet not too runny. This sauce is weak in comparison to what I normally make, but in order to get this consistency that this sauce has I end up making it more vinegary. The ingredients: Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Cane Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Water, Salt, Modified Starch, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid. Product Of Jamaica. 4.8 oz

I think it might have something to do with the cane sugar, but I am no scientist... anybody have any advice on hot to make a stupid hot hot sauce with a consistency like this? I usually do purees or ferment, but a nice baste of this but hotter would be great for wings.

grace%20scotch3.jpg

It is a little more fluid than cock sauce:

103041_large.png

Hi zantrax,
none of the ingredients listed should have any effect on the consistency of the sauce. It's probably more of a processing thing. Cook the sauce down, blend it up, make it smooth. If that's not smooth enough, moosh it through a strainer.

sl

edit- just re-read the ingredients. "Modified Starch" is a thickener. Probably corn starch or similar starch. That will make a runny sauce thicker when cooked, but there is also the consideration of texture with the pulp. It needs to be really blended smooth. And to make a hotter sauce, just use hotter chiles. or more of them.

edit- just re-read the ingredients. "Modified Starch" is a thickener. Probably corn starch or similar starch. That will make a runny sauce thicker when cooked, but there is also the consideration of texture with the pulp. It needs to be really blended smooth. And to make a hotter sauce, just use hotter chiles. or more of them.

What about cassava or tapioca starch as thickeners, do they do well in sauces/bottling?

I've never used them but guess they would perform the same as corn starch. Arrowroot is another. The very first salsa I made was a cooked/canned salsa with corn starch and it did fine.

Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Cane Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Water, Salt, Modified Starch, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid. Product Of Jamaica. 4.8 oz

I think it might have something to do with the cane sugar

You would be correct, this sauce gets it's syrupy texture from the sugar, as ingredient 3 that is very high. Think of jam making. Fruit and sugar. And you get that "gelatinous but liquidy" consistency that you talked about. When you see ingredients, you don't see cooking methods, they may add different ingredients at different times, like peppers and sugar to cook the sugars down to a syrup, then the rest. Try different ways but you will get it.

I know the consistency you speak of, I have had it in other sauces. It's almost like fruit syrups for pancakes but a hot sauce. Good for glazing for sure. :)

Hi zantrax,
none of the ingredients listed should have any effect on the consistency of the sauce.

Every ingredient affects the consistency even the water. More peppers? Thicker. More water? Thinner.

The Modified Corn Starch is the thickener. Certain stabilizers seize liquids for different reasons, freezing, heating, salad dressing types. Some for clear liquids, suspensions and opaque. Not sure whats available in Canada though. I use pre-hydrated powders that don't have to be heated up to be effective..
Try a search on Xanthan and Guar. The Bonnet sauce I make has the gloopy pour and is somewhat translucent.

Back