sun How much sun?

Jase4224 said:
Codeman for my 2016 season my plants were water stressed and my yield was appalling. The biggest issue I had was that I used coco coir incorrectly and as a result my pots had uneven water retention which negatively effected the root zone.

For my 2017 season I changed my potting mix to one that stays moist but still has good drainage to prevent going soggy. And WOW I picked LOTS and LOTS of fruit :) come to think of it I'm still getting pods nearly six months after my first ripe ones lol

My advice would be treat your plants nice and get lots of fruit. They will be hot, reducing your yield to increase pungency doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thank you for the advice and the tip. They're going to get treated royally now! :)

Most of mine are in full sun, which in general most pepper plants seem to handle well.  The problem for me at least, is when the full sun is 95+ degrees.  Last year in South Carolina we had more 95+ days than I can remember since I moved here.  My plants were all healthy with morning or evening waterings.  They just wouldn't start pods or the pods would fall off very early.  They went nuts when the average temps were in the 80s, but 80s and 95+s are totally different types of full sun.  This year I'm going to put up shade cloth for the stretch of real hot days.

Mike

solid7 said:

It doesn't really matter why.  Like it doesn't matter how or why gravity works.  The result is still the same.  There are other studies that back up, and further quantify the findings.  I didn't say that it's a total myth, but it's not 100% true.
You're a smart guy who loves a good fight discussion.  I challenge you to prove or disprove what I say.  I've already taken the first steps.

You said it's "like a myth" but it's been unequivocally proven in a vast number of cultivars

Powelly said:

You said it's "like a myth" but it's been unequivocally proven in a vast number of cultivars

And disproven in just as many or more.
The exact term was "kind of a myth".  :party:

`
So stressing pepper plants doesn't increase capsaicin content is "kind of a myth" according to your analogy? 

`
16817%20-%20Dancing%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jey_uso%20jimmy_uso%20smackdown%20wwe%20wwe_tag_team_championship.gif
 ​
Tag Team Champions!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
So stressing pepper plants doesn't increase capsaicin content is "kind of a myth" according to your analogy? 

`
16817%20-%20Dancing%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jey_uso%20jimmy_uso%20smackdown%20wwe%20wwe_tag_team_championship.gif

Tag Team Champions!
It's in the report you posted. I mean, don't post so much stuff, if you can't keep it all straight. LOL

Powelly said:
Yeah then you used chasing a unicorn as an analogy, nice one  :rolleyes:
Says the guy who posts things, and then can't "quite explain the details just yet" - because he hasn't quite gotten to that chapter. :rolleyes:(X3)

Powelly said:
I don't understand the details well enough yet to explain this further

Powelly said:
There is nothing wrong with guiding someone to source material that explains something you're unable to
Look at the posts that you and your buddy there have been making, and then say that again with a straight face.
I'm ready to move on, if you are.

Powelly said:
There is nothing wrong with guiding someone to source material that explains something you're unable to
American Society for Horticultural Science/Impact of Drought Stress on the Accumulation of Capsaicinoids in Capsicum Cultivars with Different Initial Capsaicinoid Levels

"In conclusion, capsaicinoid levels increased for all cultivars studied when subjected to drought stress, except for the cultivars in the high pungency group. A yield response under drought stress for the medium pungency group varied and was not found to be associated with drought stress."

American Society for Horticultural Science/Water Deficit Affects the Accumulation of Capsaicinoids in Fruits of Capsicum chinense

"Habanero pepper plants under water stress had a lower height, root dry weight, and root/shoot relation than control plants, which were irrigated daily. However, fruit growth and production were unaffected by water stress. Capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin concentrations increased in fruits of stressed plants compared with control plants, and this effect was correlated with fruit age. "

MDPI/Characterization of Different Capsicum Varieties by Evaluation of Their Capsaicinoids Content by High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Determination of Pungency and Effect of High

"High temperatures can be a negative factor in the accumulation of capsaicinoids in certain varieties
of chili peppers, this study showed that the varieties most affected were Jalapeño and De árbol peppers
as they lose 61.5% and 32.5% of total capsaicinoids, respectively. Moreover, the temperature rise in
greenhouse favored the accumulation of total capsaicinoids in varieties Guajillo and Serrano and
corresponding to an increase 3-fold. Furthermore, the Puya variety showed a slight increase of 21% in
the amount of total capsaicinoids; while having a slightly positive effect on Ancho with an increase of
8.6%. These data demonstrate that the responses of the peppers did not show a homogeneous behavior.
In literature it has been reported that levels of capsaicinoids increase in spicy peppers varieties more
than in sweet peppers when the temperature rises in the place where cultivated, however, our results
show a decrease in the amount of capsaicinoids in Jalapeño and De árbol varieties. "

Some like it hotter: UC Cooperative Extension tries to grow a spicier jalapeño

"Research studies in Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand and Spain have shown that water stress results in hotter peppers so Sanders and Baameur tried irrigating with less water. For us, it did not show that, Baameur said. We sampled fruit and we analyzed it for capsaicin content, which makes a pepper hot. It was fairly low, actually it was almost half of what the normal treatment, or control, would be.

The relatively cooler climate of the Santa Clara County area may be the reason the pepper plants produce different results. I think it's more a relation to heat, ambient temperature, much more than just water, Baameur said. Cool years and hot years will result in different heat units for the same jalapeño variety."

Capsaicin biosynthesis in water-stressed hot pepper fruits

"Peroxidase activity was lower in fruits in the water deficit treatment. Lower peroxidase and capsaicin oxidase activity means that the oxidation, or breakdown, of capsaicin will be slower when plants experience water deficit. At the same time, CS activity and capsaicin production is higher than in plants not under water stress. Thus, both higher rates of synthesis and lower rates of degradation contribute to the greater concentration of capsaicin in water-stressed plants."

The Environment Produces Significant Effect on Pungency of Chiles

"The pungency differences observed in this study exceeded 6000 SHU, demonstrating that the enviromental component can have a greater influence on the pungency level than does the genotype."

tumblr_omi4cfcR261shgs1po1_500.gif

`

Your arrogance is astounding.  Anybody can selectively throw out info from Google, and make it say what they want.  It takes an intellectually honest person to actually try to understand what they're spouting, instead of just trying to passive aggressively win a juvenile pissing match.  Your Looney Toons ending is most appropriate.  But it ain't the whole story...  so now you come down a peg.

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=15571

the article said:
Baameur is trying to grow a hotter jalapeño by studying the variables that raise the Scoville units, which measure a pepper's heat. For the past four years, he has been documenting the effects of different rates of water, potassium, sea salt and nitrogen applied to the jalapeño crop at George Chiala Farms in Morgan Hill.
“We're trying to find a way to raise the capsaicin level of the jalapeño and raise the Scoville units, which will then allow us to have spicier peppers,” said Jeff Sanders, raw product coordinator for George Chiala Farms.

Research studies in Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand and Spain have shown that water stress results in hotter peppers so Sanders and Baameur tried irrigating with less water. “For us, it did not show that, Baameur said. “We sampled fruit and we analyzed it for capsaicin content, which makes a pepper hot. It was fairly low, actually it was almost half of what the normal treatment, or control, would be.”

The relatively cooler climate of the Santa Clara County area may be the reason the pepper plants produce different results. “I think it's more a relation to heat, ambient temperature, much more than just water,” Baameur said. “Cool years and hot years will result in different heat units for the same jalapeño variety.”
The amount of potassium hasn't made a difference, but adjusting nitrogen fertilizer seems promising.
“High nitrogen is promising because it produces a hotter pepper and also allows for high crop yields,” Baameur said. “Low nitrogen also resulted in higher pungency, it brings a lot of heat in the peppers,” he said. “However it is correlated with lower yields.”

Interesting how that last line also feeds into some controversial topics.

So this begs the question...  Do you want to be the Google know-it-all - or do you want to be knowledgeable grower, who patterns himself off of other knowledgeable growers?

If you want to be the cartoon and meme guy, so be it.  At this point, I think it's fitting.

solid7 said:
It takes an intellectually honest person to actually try to understand what they're spouting

Quoting Dave DeWitt (AKA The Pope of Peppers), adjunct professor at New Mexico State University, author or coauthor of 35 books about chilies, founder of Chile Pepper magazine and current owner/editor of Firey Foods & Barbeque Central.

Popular Science/FYI: What is the Hottest Pepper in the World?

"The pungency in chili peppers is 50 percent genetic and 50 percent environmental," DeWitt says. "Pods that grow lower down on the plant are hotter. Stress on the plants, if water is withheld perhaps, makes them hotter."

If you have a problem with what Mr. DeWitt is spouting as I assume he's intellectually honest, take it up with him.
P.S. I didn't think it necessary to bold or underline that pungency is 50% environmental. (I think that's a bit high but who am I to argue with Dave DeWitt ?)

solid7 said:
so now you come down a peg

`
maxresdefault.jpg

I can't! I'm already at the lowest pegs! 
 ​
`

Aji cito that gets almost full sun all day is doing better than the one getting full sun until about 3pm

Scotch Bonnet Yellow MOA that gets almost full sun all day is doing better than the one that gets sun until about 3pm

7 Pot Yellow that gets full sun all day is doing great.

Much Nacho in full sun is doing great and produced my first 3 edible pods

Lemon drop that gets slightly more shade than the other is doing much better.

Gochu that gets some afternoon shade is doing better than the other one that gets full sun all day.

I expect this will change up some now that the sub 60F nights are mostly over and more 80F+ days are far more frequent. Its been difficult just to get the pots to get even close to dry.

Back