• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Drip Irrigation Emitters...What's best?

I have the black plastic line to lay down on my raised beds, but am undecided as to the type of emitters to use. One concern I have for the typical type that simply drips at x-gph, is if I top dress around the plants, will water reach out far enough from the drip emitter to soak the entire soil amendment I might use. Maybe some sort of spray/sprinkler emitter would be a better choice? Ideas? Thanks.

NETAFIM.

yea thats me IRL shouting netafim in my lonely empty house. i did that irl.

netafim drippers and spray stakes are what you want. unless you are antisemitic i guess.

i got antelco pc drip stakes this year, can't really find reviews for them so i guess i'll see lol
i got some shrubbers too just to see how they work.

ajdrew said:
Robstar said:  Netafim.  The original and still the best.

What are the benefits / upsides?
netafim junk is just well thought out imo.

their poly pipe is excellent.

their drip emitter tubing is far and away the best ive known.
Sprayers...

they are one of the few companies offering very low flow flow sprayers. low as 3gpm.

most other companies DO OFFER sprayers, but they are more like micro sprinklers... and they have spinning disks or adjustable needle valves and shit like that...
not only are micro sprinklers TOO high flow, they are far and away more unreliable, they broadcast too far in most cases... and they difficut to service.

i wont pretend that you cannot make a micro sprinkler work for a 5 or 10 gallon container plant... but you are going to have to hastle with it far more than these small spray stakes.

if you are pumping fertilizer through something, no matter what, you will get some degree of accumulated scale and salt. This being the case you really don't want needle valves and spinning shit in your sprayers.

netafim spray stakes also have an excellent feature where you can unplug the tubing, and plug it into a dead end fitting lower down on the stake. this dead end fitting is just a plug.
netafim sprayers also come with these barbed angled fittings that snap down onto the sprayers. this does not sound like a big deal, but it makes it 10x easier to swap out a 6gpm single direction, for a 6gph double pattern.

netafim sell these sprayers as ASSEMBLIES. cannot overstate this. ASSEMBLIES.

when you plunk down a buck for each emitter, you are getting a barbed pressure compensating "junior" button dripper, a lenght of tubing that connects the junior dripper to the snap on angled take off... and the spray stake itself.
you pretty much just pop a hole in your poly pipe, insert the button, and place the sprayer.

you do not have to sit down... pop in your button drippers... cut some lenghts of irrigation tubing, place the sprayers and connect the tubing.

emitters...

they make very good emitters, though they are not as innovative as their spray stakes.

they to sell them as assemblies... about 60 cents each when you buy like 50 of them.

they sell them in very very low flows... 1gph .75gph and .5gph.

you can even get down to .3gph buttons, but they dont sell them in stake asseblies.

you can however buy stakes, tubing, and buttons sepratly.

they do not have blank off stoppers, which i wish they had.

they do not have angled snaps either, but without the blank off, they dont really need them.
this is where i buy my dripper assemblies.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netafim-Pressure-Compensating-Emitters-for-Micro-and-Drip-Irrigation-systems-/170899695871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27ca6a68ff

here is a a product brochure for the spray stakes.

you can buy the stakes in a shitload of places now. greenhouse megastore is where i get mine.

http://www.netafimusa.com/files/literature/greenhouse/G014-PC-Spray-Stakes-Brochure.pdf

Asking about drip irrigation because probably putting in high tunnels this year.  Plan is still raised beds, but can not exactly use a sprinkler inside a high tunnel.  Curious to know, what is the advantage over a soaker hose?  Particularly concerned with how clean the water has to be.  With field grown stuff, I use pond water with a sprinkler.  I just screen the pond water.

Back