• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

heat Desert Heat sauce - need ideas!

Went to the farmer's market recently, and picked up a whole bunch of green chillies, some thai greens, and some scotch bonnets as well.

I decided I wanna make a hot sauce with a Desert theme, so Southwest US, Mexico, Morocco, Egypt, Arabia, India, possibly even Chinese deserts.

So far my prospective ingredient list is looking like this:

Green chillies
thai green chillies
scotch bonnets
Chipotle chillies
cumin
fresh chopped coriander
lime juice
Red prickly pear - for colour more than anything but I might get a couple just so it can contribute to the taste as well.

I was thinking maybe figs, but I dunno.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Chocolate is another endorphin trigger...................mince 10 of the chillies with 1/2 cup of sugar, then heat 1 cup of cream, add the sugar chilli mix and simmer for 2 mins.....................take off the heat and add 400g of dark chocolate buttons and 250g of diced butter. Stir until mixed..do not, i repeat do not put back on the stove. Strain through fine sieve, while warm dip ripe strawberries, apple slices.any fruit you like, let set in fridge..............spicy, sweet and sour..............yum...........enjoy

Try Kiwi-Fruit, Mango, Peach. I like it fruity :D I would leave out the Coriander though, JMO :)

Good call on the peach. It's not very deserty, but it's in season here, and I love peaches! Then again, Mango would be closer to the Mexican desert than peaches. Why no coriander? it's one of my favourite herbs!

Chocolate is another endorphin trigger...................mince 10 of the chillies with 1/2 cup of sugar, then heat 1 cup of cream, add the sugar chilli mix and simmer for 2 mins.....................take off the heat and add 400g of dark chocolate buttons and 250g of diced butter. Stir until mixed..do not, i repeat do not put back on the stove. Strain through fine sieve, while warm dip ripe strawberries, apple slices.any fruit you like, let set in fridge..............spicy, sweet and sour..............yum...........enjoy

That's kinda interesting. I know the Aztecs used to make a chocolate/chilli drink, vaguely similar to Hot Chocolate. I might just add some cocoa powder.

Peyote is an option ;)

hahaha you're the 2nd person to suggest that to me

Don't worry too much about ingredients, not too much comes out of the desert. How about a green sauce with minced garlic so it looks like a cactus. You could do a label with a cactus cut-out (or a custom cactus-shaped bottle). Oh man this is brilliant! I'm keeping this in mind for my own now :lol:

Back